Music you first hated but then started loving

2 examples come to mind.

First Oasis. 

The first track I ever heard on the radio by them was Rock 'n Roll Star and I fucking HATED the way he was pronouncing "sunshine".

Few years later they were my favorite band.

Second one is The Smiths/Morrissey.

I thought his voice was absolutely terrible like he had a hot potato in his throat but years went on and I began absolutely loving it.

Anyone else change their mind completely about some music?

Pearl Jam.  despised them when they blew up.  i was in HS.  didn't learn to like them until my 30s.  i was stuck on metal and classic rock in HS.  i also hated nirvana and everything else that came out of the Pac NW in the late 80s early 90s.

2 Likes

I'll be damned. First band I thought of when reading thread title was Oasis.

Never dug them when I was a teenager, but listening to them 25yrs later with more chill music tastes, they were a great band.

1 Like

Nirvana

1 Like

Fleetwood Mac.

Never liked them until a few years ago.

1 Like

Styx

1 Like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpoWWnR348M

1 Like

Hootie and the Blowfish

Just checked....still hate them

2 Likes

Oasis- they seemed like pompous assholes at first. Now I realize they are both just nuts.

Pantera- mainly because the guys I knew that listened to them when they got big in the early 90s were complete losers.

Slayer- see Pantera

1 Like

Tom Petty

1 Like

Lil Wayne,

Saw him live a month ago opening for Blink 182 and it was a damn fun and entertaining show.

1 Like

I was never a fan of EDM or "techno" as I called it 4 years ago. I thought it was something only gays other limp-wristed liberal San Fran types listened to. I was familiar with Dubstep, but that just sounded like noise to me. This is coming from a guy who was brought up on country and rock. After seeing how the girls dressed, I finally got talked into my first rave for Steve Aoki. There were some extracurriculars involved and I had to this day one of the top 3 hottest women I've been with grind on me. That shit rewired my brain and I find myself going to EDM festivals all over the country now.

1 Like
Chimonos Revenge - Hootie and the Blowfish

Just checked....still hate them

Hahaha

Primus. First time I heard them I really didnt care for them. Then I saw them open for Fishbone right after Sailing the Seas of Cheese came out. Left that concert a Primus fan

1 Like

Talking Heads, my dad would listen to them in the car and I didn't like it at all when I was a kid but one of their songs randomly popped into my head a few years ago and I went on a real kick of listening to them a lot 

My brother ruined Oasis for me, he listened to them constantly and I hate Liam Gallagher's voice. I always preferred blur 

1 Like

Wilco, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits.

All are acquired tastes, but appreciation develops with each listen, and the quality of the lyrics and musical craftsmanship become more apparent.

1 Like

Mindless Self Indulgence

It's the closet for me. The closet for me. Mister Harry said that will teach me.

1 Like
jbc -

Wilco, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits.

All are acquired tastes, but appreciation develops with each listen, and the quality of the lyrics and musical craftsmanship become more apparent.

Love Dylan.

Aversion to Waits cause of people I know who are fans of his.

Not hated but I didn't get Meshuggah for 10 years, then one day it clicked.

1 Like

Rush.  As a teen I thought it was old people music.  Then when I got old as Fuck,  I started thinking these guys rock my balls off!

1 Like