Muslims, not Columbus, discovered Americas...

Of course they did. This reminds me of a thread I did a few months back...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&thread=1910514&page=1

...where they were apologizing for all the amazing shit Muslims were responsible for; like soap, algebra, architecture, and discovering that the world was round. Nevermind that most of these claims were questionable at best.

http://news.yahoo.com/erdogan-says-muslims-not-columbus-discovered-americas-162759161.html

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday that the Americas were discovered by Muslims in the 12th century, nearly three centuries before Christopher Columbus set foot there.

"Contacts between Latin America and Islam date back to the 12th century. Muslims discovered America in 1178, not Christopher Columbus," the conservative president said in a televised speech during an Istanbul summit of Muslim leaders from Latin America.

"Muslim sailors arrived in America from 1178. Columbus mentioned the existence of a mosque on a hill on the Cuban coast," Erdogan said.

Erdogan said that Ankara was even prepared to build a mosque at the site mentioned by the Genoese explorer.

"I would like to talk about it to my Cuban brothers. A mosque would go perfectly on the hill today," the Turkish leader said.

History books say that Columbus set foot on the American continent in 1492 as he was seeking a new maritime route to India.

A tiny minority of Muslim scholars have recently suggested a prior Muslim presence in the Americas, although no pre-Columbian ruin of an Islamic structure has ever been found.

In a controversial article published in 1996, historian Youssef Mroueh refers to a diary entry from Columbus that mentions a mosque in Cuba. But the passage is widely understood to be a metaphorical reference to the shape of the landscape.

Tell Erdogen to get in line behind the Vikings, Injuns and Chinese.

Also claims of the Ancient Greeks and Egyptians making it too.

Lol at Muslims inventing soap. Phone Post 3.0

damn turks.. a few centuries behind as usual.

In before Ben Affleck and the other Hollywood liberals demand half our GDP be given to Muslim Americans in reparations for the hideous Columbus lie. Phone Post 3.0

lol @ the idiots on here who will be more outraged over this claim than kids still being taught in school that it was Columbus.

pretty sure the Vikings were first not some shit bag ME country

Who gives a fuck?

We'll never be able to definitively prove who 'discovered' it, and the whole debate is especially stupid when you consider that a whole bunch of cunts were already living there.

Mushroom Slap - pretty sure the Vikings were first not some shit bag ME country

Actually it may have been the Romans as far back as the 2nd Century BCE.

Dr Doom - Who gives a fuck?

We'll never be able to definitively prove who 'discovered' it, and the whole debate is especially stupid when you consider that a whole bunch of cunts were already living there.

I love this shit... If we one day find life on some planet that Nicolaus Copernicus discovered 500 years ago no one will argue that he didn't discover the planet. We'll only celebrate that he did.

How do you discover a place that already has people living on it? For thousands of years. Phone Post 3.0

A little known fact is that mulsims were the first to step foot on the moon too, not NASA.

This is the same dirt bag who let those nationalist Turks out of prison.....the ones who assaulted the Navy sailors a couple of days ago.

Fucking Turks.

If you do nothing with the discovery then it's not relevant to anything & you don't get credit.

Same reason why we don't credit Asians or the Norse.

Same reason why Tesla doesn't get credit. If you fail to bring it to market, it doesn't matter.

rrg1 - lol @ the idiots on here who will be more outraged over this claim than kids still being taught in school that it was Columbus.

Well, if you interpret "discovering" as meaning the first person to find the land then you would be a moron. I believe the implication is that Columbus was the first European to discover the land which led to a series of events that formed the current United States. Of course we had to eliminate a lot of the pesky natives that already lived here. Phone Post 3.0

I think Amerindians would disagree.

Not that religious people ever have common sense or non-warped thinking, but Moslems have to be the most demented, warped and sick.

Zheng He may have discovered America before Columbus and he was a Chinese Muslim. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-sideshow/chinese-explorer-may-have-discovered-america-before-columbus--according-to-new-book-201051307.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/earliest-sign-of-human-habitation-in-canada-may-have-been-found-1.2775151

14000 years old? Nugga whaaaaaa?

speaking as a "ojibwa" "indian", This thread can fuck off.