MUST Learn Transitional Escape - Jason Scully

If you are not using this transitional escape then you are missing a huge opportunity to not only escape but avoid more bad situations then you need to in my opinion 

In my opinion this is one of the most underutilized transitional escapes. It's just super powerful. 

Thanks for watching,

Jason Scully

For later Phone Post 3.0

I'm glad u posted this. I've been really working on this technique over the last few months and seeing improvement. The 1 problem I have is the passer starts circling to north south as I'm shrimping out. I usually end up transitioning to a single/double leg if they move to far north. Any suggestions? Phone Post 3.0

Tboney8669 - I'm glad u posted this. I've been really working on this technique over the last few months and seeing improvement. The 1 problem I have is the passer starts circling to north south as I'm shrimping out. I usually end up transitioning to a single/double leg if they move to far north. Any suggestions? Phone Post 3.0

Hope it helps.

sub. Phone Post 3.0

Great stuff as always. I've seen marcelo use that elbow push to counter the double under / stack pass many times... Money. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

Love it. That's my go to side body escape Phone Post 3.0

Chicago Bum - Great stuff as always. I've seen marcelo use that elbow push to counter the double under / stack pass many times... Money. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks...yeah it's a very good option against stack passers. 

Fantastic Job  as Always J!

Moaozinho - 

Fantastic Job  as Always J!

Thanks man...glad you guys actually like all my vids lol.

Saw this on the app and have been playing with it lately. Really trying to get away from using strength to escape side control and this is legit.

Kinda gets breezed over on the app so it's great to see a break down of it and the different ways to apply it.

I had someone try to go north/south while doing it too, but I think that's cause I was pushing after their arm was across and not in transition like you show here.

Thanks a lot Jason. Always look forward to your vids.

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

Similiar to the Marcelo Garcia sit-up escape.

joelovesfishin -

Similiar to the Marcelo Garcia sit-up escape.

Yeah pretty much the same thing. The main purpose of my video it to show people that really one of the best times to do this escape is during some sort of transitional movement Phone Post 3.0

One detail I picked up that helped me avoid the person going north south is to really sit up tall as fast as you can. Staying flat on your back or coming up shallow on you elbow, curled up, gives them a path to run around to north south, but if you push and sit up tall on your hand (maybe like the start of a turkish get up), they run into your head/body, which gives you some time to work your way out. Also look how he is scooting back, once he sits up. I am still working on this one alot, since my instincts are really the opposite of what makes this work. The sit up tall detail was on one of Marcelo's video.

I only watched the first 2 minutes but I agree with what I saw.  Understanding this escape is a total game changer.  

Used to use this a lot until I had my orbital broken by a training partner violently twisting back into me as I sat up. Elbow into eye socket double impact. Was lucky I didn't lose my eye. Boxed and kickboxed for years and was never hit so hard.

I am just now getting back into using it. And making SURE my arm stays stiff and in contact with his elbow/ triceps until I fully recover guard. Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Jessy Ringquist - Used to use this a lot until I had my orbital broken by a training partner violently twisting back into me as I sat up. Elbow into eye socket double impact. Was lucky I didn't lose my eye. Boxed and kickboxed for years and was never hit so hard.

I am just now getting back into using it. And making SURE my arm stays stiff and in contact with his elbow/ triceps until I fully recover guard. Phone Post 3.0

IMHO that is the key.  I always teach my students when they do this if they bend the pushing arm, you have to straighten it as you sit up, that requires strength.  I tell them to lock out the pushing arm as soon as they start the escape so that when you go from planting your other elbow on the mat, to planting that hand on the mat, your push is more based on leverage than pushing strength.  Not sure if that made sense, hope it did