my 9 yr old damaged furniture, should she pay?

my 9 year old daughter left some slime she made on the top of a buffet that my parents bought when they were first married.  it's a very nice piece of furniture i took when they passed away.  it ruined the finish and there's an obvious round stain in the finish you can see from across the room.  i'm not that crushed about it but apparently my daughter is.  wife talked to her about it last night and she feels absolutely horrible.  she's supposed to tell me about it tonight.  i told my wife i think we should make her pay for part of the repair, likely not the whole thing as it's going to cost a few hundred to fix, but perhaps 10% or 20%.  my wife said she feels awful enough and we should drop it.  am i going to far trying to teach personal accountability by making her come up with $50 to $75?

edit:  thanks for the comments OG.  gave her a pass.  told her to be more careful with that slime.

What are you trying to teach her? She already feels shitty about it. 

No

No way I'm having kids!

RUB HER NOSE IN IT LIKE A DOG WHILE YELLING  BAD!! 

How would she come up with the money?

Lol

To answer your question, no.

Are you autistic?

Serious question.

BIGWHITESEXY -

Lol!! This.

im_MLT -

What are you trying to teach her? She already feels shitty about it. 

financial accountability.  if i damage someone's property, i have to pay for it regardless of how i feel.  i don't really care about the money, i just think she should realize she has to be accountable for her actions even if they are accidents.  wife thinks i'm going to far.  am i?  maybe i am.

Sell the daughter, take the cannoli.

don't make her pay, but make her take an ancient woodworking techniques and tools class at the local junior college in her spare time and force her to make a new buffet.

EmmettHollis - How would she come up with the money?

she gets an allowance and sells slime to her friends.

Dan O'Connell - 

No way I'm having kids!

OK, but will you have grandkids?! Those are way easier to handle!

I've never understood those parents who are so hard on kids they chose to bring into this world.

I would have her do extra chores worth a certain dollar amount each and bring her with you to get it restored. Walk her through the process of fixing the furniture and focus on fixing it, not the mistake. Be positive and hold her accountable without making her feel worse.

Doubt she'll come to you in the future if she messes something up since she knows she'll have to pay for it . that kind of money is like hundreds of dollars to a 9 yr old.

Thats a lot of lemonade

BIGWHITESEXY -

LOL.