My Christmas is ruined. Help... I need advice!

My old gym just billed me for $650.00 and now I'm left with no money, and now I have nothing for Christmas. Please if you can just take a few minutes and read my situation, I am so screwed & I need your help!

Note** I won't mention the name of the gym yet (because it has a good reputation and it's owned by a very popular former UFC fighter). Also, I put this on the OG because I thought I might get better advice.

Long story as short as possible...

In May 2011 I joined this gym. It was brand new & just opening at the time. It was 0 enrollment fee and $89.00/month for unlimited training. The contract was for 1 year, BUT they advertised it as "No Contracts!" but really there IS a contract but they give you 3 options if you want out:
1. Give notice of situation ahead of time.
2. Pay 15 bucks/month to put it on hold.
3. Pay 50 bucks to cancel anytime.

So I only trained at this gym for about 1 month before I took a new position at work and didn't have the time to train. My last day I let them know my situation and was told "don't worry about it brother, well take care of you, you're all good" and that was it. I haven't stepped foot into this gym in over 6 months. It's a fairly small size gym with only about 100-200 members max so you recognize everyone.

So this entire year, after I canceled it, I haven't had any of the monthly $89.00 per/month charges come about. I saw no reason to change my debit card # because I did it the right way & knew they wouldn't charge me. I was even planning on returning to this gym.

I'm now nearly dead broke. I'm only 22 years old and work part time so times are hard for me. That $650.00 was my entire SAVINGS! I have no clue what in the world I'm going to do for Christmas. I have a wonderful girlfriend and now I don't even have money to buy her a gift.

I need your help and advice guys! Please if there's anything anyone can let me know I would greatly appreciate it. I immediately went into the gym Friday and spoke to the owner (popular former UFC fighter) thought everything was going to be good. He told me to come back Saturday and to text him "remember to bring your checkbook". So I went in there yesterday and I thought everything was going to go well but his wife, who is also the owner, starts budding in about the contracts and how they work. I was so offended and shocked the way I was getting treated but I did everything on Earth to remain calm and collect. I had the mindset I wasn't leaving the gym without my money, no matter what. I basically left at them saying "we need to find your contract at home, since you didn't sign anything we need to see if it say's verbal agreement is ok". I knew right then that I was getting screwed over hard. His response when I asked "why wasn't I charged $89.00 PER/month like the contract said??" was "ah the system you know, people change their cards, the payment was automatic, etc." I don't buy that at all. Why would it charge me for 7 months at once??? Because obviously I would have taken care of the issue if I had seen a charge on my bank statement, but nothing was ever charged to me after canceling my membership, until now.

All I know is that my entire weekend has been ruined with anxiety over this, and it's literally eating me alive physically and mentally. I would be more than HAPPY to pay 50 bucks to cut the contract, I just assumed they didn't charge me the 50 to cancel because it's like family there, they are big on the family thing & that's all they advertise. The owner was supposed to let me know when he found my contract at home on Friday, but my call and text went unanswered both today and yesterday. All I can do is wait until tomorrow comes around, but even then if they find my contract, I know they're going to try to tell me I am in the wrong, which technically I could be. They are going to contact the person who handled my cancellation but he no longer works there. I'm thinking "ok, what is that even going to do?". I have no clue what I am going to do. I'm completely shocked the way I'm getting treated throughout something like this. It's like they know I'm not a member so they don't care one bit.

Everyone on these forums knows who this fighter is and what the name of this gym is. I really looked up to this fighter as many people did, and now I'm getting screwed over by him. Everyone I have talked to so far has told me how shady this situation is since it's around Christmas time, and they also just had a baby. Plus, all gyms are hurting for money no matter how big of superstar you are. This really sucks right now. I'm praying for the best for tomorrow or I will have to seek legal action, which is a damn shame.

Thanks for reading this guys. It's literally as short as I can explain it. I'd appreciate ANY advice or ANY input you can offer! I will keep you updated.

I wish we could name the fighter that runs this gym but it's too early to bash him.  Sorry this is happening my brother, everything will work it's way out.  Just remain patient like you have because  I wouldn't be able to stay calm like you that's for sure!  If he doesn't do the right thing tomorrow this should go on the UG w/ names!

Get everything in writing. Lesson learned.

Send the gym a letter via registered mail stating that you cancelled on whatever date it was you gave them notice, and that any charges that they make against you or any of your accounts are being disputed. Then tell them via phone (after they receive the letter) you will be filing a complaint with the better business bureau and if they don't return your money, you will be seeking a legal remedy. You can also contact your bank and tell them it's a fraudulent transaction. Explain to the bank that you had a membership with that gym months ago, but that you never authorized that payment and the gym used your account number from the month you did pay. Then ask the bank if they can retrieve the money and credit it to your account.

Call your card company and say whatever is required to get a chargeback...the end

what - Get this man a paypal account set up, I dropped two hundred dollars down the street earlier and wil now go back and get it and start the ball rollin

I appreciate your post so much, it's so hard for me to accept money though, even in the situation I'm in right now it still wouldn't feel right. While money is the root to my entire problem, maybe a couple TTT's for me here and there would be nice. I am sickened by this entire situation. I couldn't even watch the finale last night I was so depressed.

Stone Rolled - Get everything in writing. Lesson learned.

You are absolutely correct and I've had many lesson's learned in the past, but never anything like this. Like can he even do that? The contract was for $89.00 per month, how can he just charge me $650.00 at one time over 6 months later?? I'm so upset I didn't change my card number this time. I didn't think I had to because everything was good and my gym payments stopped once I canceled my membership verbally to them.

Well, if they're smart, they'll give you your money back. If they're a small gym like you say, even one really disgruntled customer could fuck their reputation locally. It's not like they're Gold's Gym where having a pissed off customer doesn't mean shit to them. Especially if that customer posts on MMA forums. LOL! Their rep should be worth more than screwing someone out of $650. If they're smart, that is.

Also, if they try to force you to the contract through a lawsuit, just bring copies of your bank statements to court. They will show that you were never charged for the seven months after you gave notice. Since you weren't being charged, it's pretty clear that the gym considered your contract terminated.

Wow man,  That sucks to hear.

I hope you get your money back and everything works out.

onyx2002 - Call your card company and say whatever is required to get a chargeback...the end

The payment was still processing & Wells Fargo told me they could only report it as fraud, but the money is gone. The payment was already processed or approved. I have to call them again tomorrow when they're open. It sucks this happened on a Friday afternoon!

Thanks you guys so much for the responses, I already feel a little better from posting this thread. I will check back here when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

1. name the fighter/owner and gym. nothing like bad publicity to get a business to do what's right.

2. call your credit card company and file a dispute about the $650 charge.

3. if the fighter/owner doesn't cancel the charge/pay you back, go to the local news channel/paper's consumer watchdog guy and tell him you have a story about a famous fighter's business screwing over customers.

4. file complaint with BBB Phone Post

WikiTheWalrus - 

Send the gym a letter via registered mail stating that you cancelled on whatever date it was you gave them notice, and that any charges that they make against you or any of your accounts are being disputed. Then tell them via phone (after they receive the letter) you will be filing a complaint with the better business bureau and if they don't return your money, you will be seeking a legal remedy. You can also contact your bank and tell them it's a fraudulent transaction. Explain to the bank that you had a membership with that gym months ago, but that you never authorized that payment and the gym used your account number from the month you did pay. Then ask the bank if they can retrieve the money and credit it to your account.

This

And get the chargeback

This is not the end of the world. Stuff like this passes and in a year from now it will not even be a blip on the radar.   

That's not right. Not ethically, not legally.

You can win this if you desire.

No contract?
No signatures?
Debiting account months later for the entire sum?
Dude... that is wrong.

For later Phone Post

I train at the same gym as Evan & we talked about it earlier today. Definitely a shitty situation but keep your head up bro! Everything should workout right in the end, that's fucked up of them. Just be the better man like you have been.

What a bitch post.

1. Call the gym's manager or owner, or both, and explain and get a refund.

2. If they refuse, out them.

3. Go from there.

mobybeaver -  1. name the fighter/owner and gym. nothing like bad publicity to get a business to do what's right.

2. call your credit card company and file a dispute about the $650 charge.

3. if the fighter/owner doesn't cancel the charge/pay you back, go to the local news channel/paper's consumer watchdog guy and tell him you have a story about a famous fighter's business screwing over customers.

4. file complaint with BBB Phone Post

THIS.....

If what you say is legit, name names. Nothing like a little public pressure to get things right.

Mark Phone Post

Famour FORMER UFC fighter?

and in San Diego?

We could start to narrow this down.