My encounters with casual fans of MMA/Pretenders.

I've been a fan of this sport for a long time but only in the past 2 years have I really encountered pretenders and casual fans who think they know it all. Whenever I'm talking to someone and MMA gets brought up there are 2 reactions, the first is being asked what MMA is and when I say mixed martial arts they either say "oh UFC I love the UFC" or I have to elaborate and say "cage fighting" or something along those lines and the UFC is the first thing they bring up, these people always say how amazing Brock is and how unstoppable he is. I say yeah him and fedor would have been a good fight, when I mention that I get looked at like a moron. "who's fedor bro?" or "no one can beat lesnar" People who respond like this annoy me but the pretenders are worse. Recently every bouncer I encounter at a club who I've talked to has either beaten bisping in an underground fight or has trained bisping and taught him some moves. Even had a guy try to tell me he was in bispings corner when he has fought recently.

This may just be venting but I have a nice list of dumb shit people have said, it is as follows.

-I beat bisping before but it had to be taken of the record because he's in the UFC now.
-I taught bisping how to box and fight
- I was going to fight in the UFC but most opponents refused to fight me
- I was meant to fight Brock before he joined the UFC
- If someone tried to choke me I'd just slam them, I'm immune to grappling
- UFC offered me a contract but I couldn't make it over

Things like this really wind me up when it's clear the person has no idea.
Anyone else have any dumb stories like this? I need a good laugh. I'll post more if I remember more. Phone Post

Clueless fans exist in every sport.

Welcome to the mainstream bro.

Steve4192 -

Clueless fans exist in every sport.

Welcome to the mainstream bro.

I don't like it here :( Phone Post

I just got downvoted 3 times for this? Ouch Phone Post

Do you like approach crazy people on venice beach or something?

I don't think i've ever heard anybody say anything that has been memorable enough to post.

The best i've had is a guy going nuts over frank mir, and yelling at him to grab a leg when he was wobbling around vs JDS. Then he went on about how frank didn't go for the takedowns and that's why he lost. I think he was just a huge mir fan though.

OP - I voted you up.  You don't deserve three votes down.

As a female, I've gotten some weird stories told to me.  The minute a guy finds out I am obsessed with MMA. he's a blackbelt, and sometimes in martial art that doesn't even exist. LOL

I've learned to ignore it.

shaqitup - Do you like approach crazy people on venice beach or something?

I don't think i've ever heard anybody say anything that has been memorable enough to post.

The best i've had is a guy going nuts over frank mir, and yelling at him to grab a leg when he was wobbling around vs JDS. Then he went on about how frank didn't go for the takedowns and that's why he lost. I think he was just a huge mir fan though.

I live in England and Most bouncers out here fancy them self to be a hard man. I've had people say they don't know what MMA is then 5 minutes later ask me if I've ever heard of the UFC and say they like how real they make it look. So weak. Phone Post

mmavixen - 

As a female, I've gotten some weird stories told to me.  The minute a guy finds out I am obsessed with MMA. he's a blackbelt, and sometimes in martial art that doesn't even exist. LOL

I toooootally get what you're saying.

And I'm a Rex Kwon Do redbelt.

Cage fighting eh? Phone Post

mmavixen -

Thank you and lol if I've ever been asked about I cause a couple of friends know I train a little if someone is there I don't know and there are girls around I get one of two responses 1. What that shit when 2 guys lay there hugging? 2. Mate I don't care man training ain't shit you can either fight or you can't, you can't teach that.
Very annoying. Phone Post

Smellde Gluve -
mmavixen - 

Lol Phone Post

Zed Wayne Zed - You fail to the irony in your very own post.

You are coming off as one of the people you criticize.

Cannot put yourself on a pedestal above people who casually like the UFC, because you were there first.

Like the fine person said above, the mainstream is there for everyone, not just you.

Also I do come across very douchey sorry :( Phone Post

I have a friend who fought Ken Shamrock in an underground match and was beating his ass with his kickboxing and right before the bell Ken caught him in a lucky ankle lock. LOL...I was told this at a halloween party 8 years ago by a friend I haven't seen since highscool. Fucker made beer come out my nose I was laughing so hard.

cheesesteak - I have a friend who fought Ken Shamrock in an underground match and was beating his ass with his kickboxing and right before the bell Ken caught him in a lucky ankle lock. LOL...I was told this at a halloween party 8 years ago by a friend I haven't seen since highscool. Fucker made beer come out my nose I was laughing so hard.

Lol love shit like that Phone Post

Zed Wayne Zed -
Hadoukenkieran - 
Zed Wayne Zed - You fail to the irony in your very own post.

You are coming off as one of the people you criticize.

Cannot put yourself on a pedestal above people who casually like the UFC, because you were there first.

Like the fine person said above, the mainstream is there for everyone, not just you.

Also I do come across very douchey sorry :( Phone Post

No, no you don't.

I sometimes get that way about bands and things,
but then I realize it is better that everyone have a chance to listen to them, over just a few.

MMA is weird because it is so new, and I think the people that liked it early on are threatened when new and interested people come along and muddy what they consider a special and precious thing.

And yeah I know, sometimes I don't think stuff through :( Phone Post

Hadoukenkieran - 
Smellde Gluve -
mmavixen - 

Lol Phone Post

LMCAO

I had a guy once say he was a black belt. And I said "Under who did you get your black belt?"  "What do you mean under, I dont get under nobody biatch."  Marriage material for sure. LOL

fat referee - 

Whenever this happens I wrap up the convo and leave. Not worth the time and effort debunking all his stories.

Best one I've heard was that Lesnar is a natural in the cage due to his "Hell in a Cell" experience. I legit lol'd...I THOUGHT THE GUY WAS JOKING but then continued on about Lesnar already being used to the caged environment even though he has little MMA experience.

lol. Pure comedy gold right there.

mmavixen -
Hadoukenkieran - 
Smellde Gluve -
mmavixen - 

Lol Phone Post

LMCAO

I had a guy once say he was a black belt. And I said "Under who did you get your black belt?"  "What do you mean under, I dont get under nobody biatch."  Marriage material for sure. LOL

Sounds like a keeper Phone Post

I was looking at some fights while at work and a co worker passed by and said "you don't like that bellator shit do you?" I couldn't believe what I had heard (its almost always ufc or cage fighting) so I politely asked him to repeat himself. He went on to explain to me that its all fake and I'm ignorant for liking it. It took me showing him a video of my own amatuer fight to convince him otherwise but his parting statement was "well at least some of its real I guess." Not so much a pretender story but worth it for the bellator comment IMO

I work with a guy who " can bench press a house". If he was in the UFC he would just start picking guys up and throwing them over the cage.

My cousin who also works with us and has little wrestling experience just from helping out his kids coach got sick of hearing it one day and challenged him. Bench press guy got schooled.