My favorite stand up comedians(58)

BJ Penn Forever - 

Dude, I am TRYING, but it's just not clicking for me. 

How does he not come off as just complaining over being funny?  I am 2 and a half minutes into his opening act and while he might be agreeable, I just don't see what's so funny that you're so adamant about.

Could you watch this stand up again and tell me what part was really funny to you?  Time stamp it b/c again, I'm trying but I'm just not getting it.

Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he's a fucking genius 

I am fairly certain it was you who suggested this.  Do you recall mentioning him in the last 2-3 months?

If so, THANKS man.  He had like 3-4 of them that seemed like part of a similar set but they were all solid.  Very fresh.  What's great is I've only seen each one, one time so there is lots of replay value with him, which is Awesome! I hope he puts out a solid career of stand ups as he's young and already good, like Pete Davidson. (But James has 4 where as Pete has 1)

It probably was, most people outside the UK haven't heard of him and I'm not sure a lot would get him, he's VERY British and quite eccentric to say the least. I could watch his bits like the Conga and his story about Jury Duty over and over, so good. If you like his style check out Paul Foot too, he's one of Englands greatest club comedians 

Oh and look on YouTube for James Acasters Classic Scrapes, there's tons of stuff of his out there to listen to 

Thanks for the recommendations.

Both of my kids are 1/2 british.  I've been to England two times, and my interactions with English people is that they aren't as outgoing/colorful/funny as what I'm used to here in America, yet some of my favorite comedians are British.  Go figure.  

I'm going to give Doug Stanahope another try.  I want to enjoy as many comedians as I can, trust me.  I'm hoping it will be another case of Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Jimmy Carr as originally I wasn't crazy about their stand up at first, but after giving them a 2nd chance over time, they grew to be some of my favorite.  It could be an age thing as well.

A little sample of Foot, always thought he'd make a great Dr Who

See, this guy I can tell I'd be more apt to give him a listen than giving Doug Stanhope a 3rd/4th attempt.  While I didn't think this bit was that funny, right away this guy is jovial and his whole demeanor/posture just makes it seem more comedian like.  

Doug Stanhope looks to complain about shit and try to make it funny, where as most comedians just try to make stuff funny.

D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 
D241 -
Dreville79 - 

James Acasters Repertoire is the best Stand Up of the decade, he's a fucking genius 

I am fairly certain it was you who suggested this.  Do you recall mentioning him in the last 2-3 months?

If so, THANKS man.  He had like 3-4 of them that seemed like part of a similar set but they were all solid.  Very fresh.  What's great is I've only seen each one, one time so there is lots of replay value with him, which is Awesome! I hope he puts out a solid career of stand ups as he's young and already good, like Pete Davidson. (But James has 4 where as Pete has 1)

It probably was, most people outside the UK haven't heard of him and I'm not sure a lot would get him, he's VERY British and quite eccentric to say the least. I could watch his bits like the Conga and his story about Jury Duty over and over, so good. If you like his style check out Paul Foot too, he's one of Englands greatest club comedians 

Oh and look on YouTube for James Acasters Classic Scrapes, there's tons of stuff of his out there to listen to 

Thanks for the recommendations.

Both of my kids are 1/2 british.  I've been to England two times, and my interactions with English people is that they aren't as outgoing/colorful/funny as what I'm used to here in America, yet some of my favorite comedians are British.  Go figure.  

I'm going to give Doug Stanahope another try.  I want to enjoy as many comedians as I can, trust me.  I'm hoping it will be another case of Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, and Jimmy Carr as originally I wasn't crazy about their stand up at first, but after giving them a 2nd chance over time, they grew to be some of my favorite.  It could be an age thing as well.

A little sample of Foot, always thought he'd make a great Dr Who

See, this guy I can tell I'd be more apt to give him a listen than giving Doug Stanhope a 3rd/4th attempt.  While I didn't think this bit was that funny, right away this guy is jovial and his whole demeanor/posture just makes it seem more comedian like.  

Doug Stanhope looks to complain about shit and try to make it funny, where as most comedians just try to make stuff funny.

I'm the same, I can usually tell within two minutes of a comedian being on stage whether I'm gonna continue watching or not. If Stanhope is the guy I'm thinking of he's a mediocre at best George Carlin wannabe, I'll check later 

I'd say that's a very good analogy.  And I'm not a fan of Carlin anymore, at least not like I was.

No Stanhope is insanity

Stanhope doesn't complain about shit, he calls it out for what it really is, and then makes it funny.

1 Like

Amy Schumer is god awful. You might as well have put Dane Cook or Brendan Schaub on your list.

1 Like
spjackson77 - 

Stanhope doesn't complain about shit, he calls it out for what it really is, and then makes it funny.

HOW?

Are you not reading the thread?

It's not like Doug doesn't have a lot of material.  Can you find ONE example of something he said that you think is funny, that you think I and everyone should think is funny?

I'm asking for ONE example.  

The Destroyer88 - 

Amy Schumer is god awful. You might as well have put Dane Cook or Brendan Schaub on your list.

Those two suck, but Amy is better than average and I find her funnier than most of the people on my list.

Let me guess, you probably paid attention to something Amy Schumer related that had nothing to do with her comedy or her being funny, and are basing your opinions of her comedy off of some stupid political view she has.  Am I right?

Comedians are not politicians people.  Their views on politics should have absolute ZERO weight in them. 

D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

Those two suck, but Amy is better than average and I find her funnier than most of the people on my list.

Let me guess, you probably paid attention to something Amy Schumer related that had nothing to do with her comedy or her being funny, and are basing your opinions of her comedy off of some stupid political view she has.  Am I right?

Comedians are not politicians people.  Their views on politics should have absolute ZERO weight in them. 

I couldn't care less about her political views or whatever you're going on about and she's a joke theif, which puts her below the Brendan Schaubs of the comedy world.

1 Like
D241 -
Half speed - 

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

I am very thankful for your post Half speed!  Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Mario Joyner, Brad Garret(is he the midget), Danny Bevins, DAve Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt mcClowery, Jon reep, Bill Bushart are all names I have never heard of and I assure you I will try to find all of their stand up specials.  Even if only one of that bunch is good, this is a great post.   Thanks for your contribution.

Before I get to any of these if you care to tell me of the ones mentioned here, who do you recommend the most?

Also, Lavell Crawford's older stuff was good, he's a good mention.  I watched his most recent one and it was horrible though.

Andrew Schultz is getting a huge push right now and he's funny. All the rest of them are very funny some of them are Regional some of them are national. And each one really depends on your mood. Comedians Acts change as their life changes. Jeff Dunham got bitter after all of his hard work half of it went away in his divorce. Stanhope is good his earlier stuff is happy later his mom died and coke was his friend and he knows he will never be main stream sitcom and he doesn't want it. Life is a little less interesting when you've seen it all. Auggie Smith murders crowds. Comedy is weird where anyone can have a good day or a bad day. Its weird a joke can work 100 times in a row and for no reason fail badly. Its like music sometimes you are in the mood for one thing and sometimes not. It would be hard to say I would listen to just one or 5 songs or even bands forever. Limpbiscut opened for DMX times change.

Greaseweiner - Brian Reagen smashes 75% of that list

I'm unfamiliar with 90% of the mentioned comedians but i do really like brian reagan

D241 -

Jimmy Carr
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK

Anthony Jeselnik

Demetri Martin

Steven Wright

These are my favorite.  Steven Wright, Jimmy Carr, and Demetri Martin probably being my 3 favorite with Jeselnik up there as well.

If you like Jimmy Carr isnt it hard to listen to Anthony Jes... do the same humo(u)r at 1/20th speed. 

No carlin......wow

1 Like
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

I couldn't care less about her political views or whatever you're going on about and she's a joke theif, which puts her below the Brendan Schaubs of the comedy world.

I was really glad over the past few months you catalogged stand up comedies you enjoyed, and created a list so that many of us could perhaps find a new comedian we enjoy.  The fact that you did this instead of just bitching like everyone else makes you stand out.

Except that's not the case, and you're no better than all these other unappreciate assholes who focus on negative instead of positive.  No wonder so many people's taste in humor is shit. 

Thanks for your contributions though!

D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

I was really glad over the past few months you catalogged stand up comedies you enjoyed, and created a list so that many of us could perhaps find a new comedian we enjoy.  The fact that you did this instead of just bitching like everyone else makes you stand out.

Except that's not the case, and you're no better than all these other unappreciate assholes who focus on negative instead of positive.  No wonder so many people's taste in humor is shit. 

Why are you getting so defensive over me pointing out that Amy is a joke theif? I'm not shitting on your list I'm just saying she's not funny, even with other people's material.

1 Like
EnderinAK - 
D241 -

Jimmy Carr
Dave Chapelle
Louis CK

Anthony Jeselnik

Demetri Martin

Steven Wright

These are my favorite.  Steven Wright, Jimmy Carr, and Demetri Martin probably being my 3 favorite with Jeselnik up there as well.

If you like Jimmy Carr isnt it hard to listen to Anthony Jes... do the same humo(u)r at 1/20th speed. 

No it's not, but that is a good/accurate observation.  Two totally different styles and deliveries.

Although Jimmy Carr's short joke-

"The problem with pedophiles?  Sexy children" is along the lines of Anthony's type of dark humor. But totally different styles/deliveries.

Half speed - 
D241 -
Half speed - 

Sam Kinison, Dana Gould, Robin Williams, Joey Diaz, Bert Kreischer, Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Cedric the Entertainer, Lavell Crawford, Mario Joyner, George Lopez, Brad Garrett, Danny Bevins, Dave Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt McClowery, Jon Reep, bill bushart and many many others that are killers. Go to your local Club and check it out it is worth it. It is like music you won't be into everything but most good clubs we'll have a very good batting average. If you go to your local bars comedy night you can bump into all of these guys when they were up-and-comers. You will get some crazy people but most of them are very good and it is not very expensive.

I am very thankful for your post Half speed!  Steve McGrew, Bobby Slayton, Bobby Collins, Andrew Kennedy, Derek Richards, Mario Joyner, Brad Garret(is he the midget), Danny Bevins, DAve Landau, Andrew Schulz, Matt mcClowery, Jon reep, Bill Bushart are all names I have never heard of and I assure you I will try to find all of their stand up specials.  Even if only one of that bunch is good, this is a great post.   Thanks for your contribution.

Before I get to any of these if you care to tell me of the ones mentioned here, who do you recommend the most?

Also, Lavell Crawford's older stuff was good, he's a good mention.  I watched his most recent one and it was horrible though.

Andrew Schultz is getting a huge push right now and he's funny. All the rest of them are very funny some of them are Regional some of them are national. And each one really depends on your mood. Comedians Acts change as their life changes. Jeff Dunham got bitter after all of his hard work half of it went away in his divorce. Stanhope is good his earlier stuff is happy later his mom died and coke was his friend and he knows he will never be main stream sitcom and he doesn't want it. Life is a little less interesting when you've seen it all. Auggie Smith murders crowds. Comedy is weird where anyone can have a good day or a bad day. Its weird a joke can work 100 times in a row and for no reason fail badly. Its like music sometimes you are in the mood for one thing and sometimes not. It would be hard to say I would listen to just one or 5 songs or even bands forever. Limpbiscut opened for DMX times change.

You are the saving grace of this thread.  I know there would be a majority of simpletons who are going to see 1-2 names they recognize and don't like, and harp on that instead of, Oh I dunno trying to expand their own knowledge of comedians.

Your post and recommendations is exactly the type of responses I was hoping for.  Your knowledge on stand up comedians is obviously greater than everyone else who has chimed in with their limited knowledge acting like experts.

The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 
D241 -
The Destroyer88 - 

Why are you getting so defensive over me pointing out that Amy is a joke theif? I'm not shitting on your list I'm just saying she's not funny, even with other people's material.

Well, I am getting a little defensive and to you in particular, I apologize.  This list was not something I just came up with in 5 minutes.  I watch stand ups all the time and I try to note which ones I like so I could compile a master list so that when I want to laugh, but not laugh at whatever I was laughing at last week, I could look at this list and be like..."oh yeah, I haven't seen that person's stand up in a long time".   

I was frustrated with all the negative comments with very little recognition that I'm trying to do something nice, and you got the grunt of it.  Sorry.

Now, back to your specific comments, what is this joke theiving you're speaking of?  Is it like a word for word joke theif or a similar joke but delivery/set up totally different?  I do agree Dane Cook and Schaub are horrible.  Schaub being the worst, Dane's fanbase being worse.

Here's another comedian I have watched multiple times and think is very funny, but for some reason I forgot to add him to my list.  

Michael Che