My first competition today....

So, I was making my competitive premiere today at Joe Moriera 14 Years in America Tourney and Seminar..

I've been working on my weight, and I had gotten myself down to like 203....

THEN I SAW THE OTHER GUYS AT 203! Lucky for me, I get matched up with a really scary looking guy who was a RIPPED 203.

On our feet, I'm hanging pretty well. I got my right inside his collar, but he eventually got a shakey takedown.. at which point my hand is stuck inside his collar and I get tapped like 5 seconds later. :)

I find out the guy's a semi-pro football player, and is undefeated in competition. He actually takes the whole division, catching everyone by armbar so I feel a little better.

But OUCH. That was embarassing! At one point, a guy in the crowd is like,"he just fought, it was really quick though," and I'm like, "Dude, not cool, that was me!"

Heh. There goes my "undefeated" Rickson record!

Max

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat".

Theodore Roosevelt

Better luck next time!

Thanks... that's what a couple people said, but it sure sucked. :)

Max

YOU SUCK!

Nah just kidding, what Theo said :)

Slapsymaxi,nice meeting you Sat.Keep at it,you'll be on top real soon.

no big deal man, i lost 5 times in a row before i finally got a win and damn did it feal good

friend,

bjj is a very difficult and unforgiving sport. especially if you are new and even more especially if you want to compete and win.

as a competitor you must prepare for many different scenarios and possible opponents/situations. and unfortunately, losing is often a part of the learning (and gaining experience) process. congrats, you just gained some valuable experience.

congrats and good job on taking the first step and competing. i know many bjj practitioners that would/will never step on the competition mat.

you will find the more you compete the easier it gets. the more (and better) you prepare intelligently and successfully execute your gameplan (or style) during competition you will be pleased with the outcome.

winning and losing isnt as important as preparation and execution. if you prepare well and execute well you will be pleased with yourself and your development and winning and losing wont/shouldnt matter as much.

good luck