My First Powerlifting Comp

Decided to out this thread here because someone may see it and get interested in lifting.

I'm going to do my first PL meet in July in approximately 10 weeks. I'll be using Brandon Lilly's Cube Method to train.

Background: I'm 36 yo 5'9 and 235ish. I've been a gym rat for 15 years but have only been powerlifting for around a year. I'm not terribly strong but I'm getting better.

My current lifts are (approximately):

Bench: 360
DL: 465
SQ: 465

The meet is July 15th. I've never even seen a PL meet before so it should be fun. Phone Post 3.0

Weight class will be 220lbs and I will updated my training on this thread.

And I will try to answer any questions.

I will began the cube method Tuesday. Phone Post 3.0

Are you at a powerlifting gym? Phone Post 3.0

I'm not. I train at a cookie cutter commercial gym. I may switch to a better place soon but for now I train at a regular gym. Phone Post 3.0

LuketheSpook - Decided to out this thread here because someone may see it and get interested in lifting.

I'm going to do my first PL meet in July in approximately 10 weeks. I'll be using Brandon Lilly's Cube Method to train.

Background: I'm 36 yo 5'9 and 235ish. I've been a gym rat for 15 years but have only been powerlifting for around a year. I'm not terribly strong but I'm getting better.

My current lifts are (approximately):

Bench: 360
DL: 465
SQ: 465

The meet is July 15th. I've never even seen a PL meet before so it should be fun. Phone Post 3.0
You squat and deadlift almost double what I do. I'll be adding you to my list of people to never try to rape. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks I'll VU when I can for the no rape list. Phone Post 3.0

In this bitch. How is your diet? Do you know how you're going to cut down to 220 yet? Phone Post 3.0

Helped my buddy with his powerlifting comp, he's much stronger than I am. My maxed were

Bench: 415
Squat: 575
Dead lift: nope, fucks my back every time because I have shit form I'm sure.

He did 525 on bench and close to 700 on squat and I can't recall his deadlift but he's also only 5'7 and a plump 275. That being said he made vast improvements when switching to a powerlifting gym, they just know so much more about form, dieting, how to prep day of etc Phone Post 3.0

Amos Moses - In this bitch. How is your diet? Do you know how you're going to cut down to 220 yet? Phone Post 3.0
Diet is very loose at the moment but 10 weeks is easy to dial in 16 lbs. I once fought at 170 so dieting is easy. I've used Wiggys grapplers guide to nutrition. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

Erik Apple -

Biden bragged about what they accuse trump of

There is no there there. 

og'er CMX has a comp coming up. hopefully he'll pop in this thread

i'm proud i can bench 245 four times, deadlift 405, and squat 315. then i see thread where people move real weight and its humbling

but then again, being 6'1 makes it a little more difficult to up the numbers

DoovyB -

i'm proud i can bench 245 four times, deadlift 405, and squat 315. then i see thread where people move real weight and its humbling

Those aren't bad numbers man. As long as we improve its all good. Phone Post 3.0

DoovyB -

I got my first comp in 3 weeks , I just started power lifting last year as well , my numbers as if this week are 255 bench , 345 squat and 475 deadlift , just remember you have to pause on your bench so take away at least 10 lbs off your max, also I'm 6'1 and 41 years old Phone Post 3.0

cmx do you work out alone? i'd like to really push myself but being alone and lots of times the only one at the gym i cant really go that extra couple reps

DoovyB -

cmx do you work out alone? i'd like to really push myself but being alone and lots of times the only one at the gym i cant really go that extra couple reps

Using a safety rack can let you push a little further but at some point you'll need a spotter / training partners. Phone Post 3.0

No I have a coach and 4 guys I work out with who are all way stronger than me , it's definitely tough to push yourself on bench and squats without a spotter , your numbers are damn good tho Phone Post 3.0

yea, im going to have to get a friend to go with me so i can find out my max.

i dont think 315 on squat is accurate as i was doing reps of 10, but dont think i was going far enough so i dropped down to 225 and made sure i was going parallel

i dont want to be that guy that half reps lol

keep us updated on how things go with the training luke and cmx i know you will in our weight loss thread

cool man. good luck

I'll be competing in my first meet this August. 220 lb

Good luck, bro. Phone Post 3.0