My friend's randori footage

Just for the hell of it!

http://vimeo.com/user5635576/videos

your friend is just at an obviously higher level than everybody else in that video.... i dont exactly find it impressive when somebody of that much higher level throws around those who are lower. i like something more akin to watching two guys of equally high levels going at it.

A few details.

The other guy is a 1st dan BB and in his 40s with 2 children and a wife; pretty sure he works a lot of hours--this being Korea.

My friend is 27 and a soldier so he's usually in pretty good shape. Also, 3rd dan BB.

So yeah, it's not evenly matched. However, convincing my friend to show up and train is like pulling teeth. He shows up maybe 3 times a month, so I wanted to film him while I had a chance. Because it was a slow night, the only other guy available for randori--who wasn't a middle school student or overweight white belt--was the older guy.

I hope to get better footage in the future which I'll be happy to share (just in case you're curious about judo in Korea).

you and i clearly look for differnt things. i look for things that are actually useful in technical development. you want to look for highlight reels.

I am still figuring how to bring up this video. Any help would be appreciated. I have logged in but when I put in user then 5635576 nothing comes up.

Just cutting and pasting should work fine.

I tried and no luck, my computer skills are limited. Can you post it.

Thanks JJJ- The "uke" was bent over and crossed his front leg so it is in line whith his back leg which is a mistake you see at the beginning levels of judo. Should be shuffling his feet so they maintain his balance and stance. I would not have guessed he was a BB by the way he moved. Tori looked his skill level. Training with a former South Korean world champion/Silver in Olympics, uchimata is a favorite throw of theirs. Thanks.

I appreciate the commentary judoblackbelt. I like to hear what you guys have to say. I don't have the best eye for details--despite having trained for a while--and have always been a strength over technique kind of player. I probably make a slew of errors each time I go out.

My friend told me he'd train again soon, so I'll try to get some more footage of him, hopefully against a more evenly-matched player this time.

For somebody of such higher level he sure had to use a lot of strength to finish most of those throws.

Really? On a couple he had to use strength to abandon the throw and let the other guy down softly--you could hear the other guy saying something to signal that he didn't want to get thrown full force.

Interesting...I always thought his technique was pretty sound.

Different people see different things depending on their experience and what is important to them. No offense to either judoka was intended.

Ben

True dat. No offense taken.

judoblackbelt - Thanks JJJ- The "uke" was bent over and crossed his front leg so it is in line whith his back leg which is a mistake you see at the beginning levels of judo. Should be shuffling his feet so they maintain his balance and stance. I would not have guessed he was a BB by the way he moved. Tori looked his skill level. Training with a former South Korean world champion/Silver in Olympics, uchimata is a favorite throw of theirs. Thanks.

Would you mind sharing the silver medalist's name? I'm interested to know about that. Incidentally, my friend's favorite throw is, indeed, uchi mata (or as Koreans call it, "hu-buk dari").

Not at all. He was in the US for more than a year and taught us for 9 months. In-Chul Cho.

Thanks, JBB.

an ok guy against a yellow belt...nice work.

Thanks, JT!