My gym just closed.

The owner sent out a hilarious email, saying that although the gym is closing indefinitely, they will still be billing everyone. He broke down the three tiers of memberships, giving details on how each will be credited after the closing ends.

The problem is the gym is a tiny Anytime Fitness (which is nice, as I like to go at 1 a.m.). One of those mega Planet Fitness locations just opened directly across the street, and I’ve known for about half a year that my gym is in danger of going out of business anyways. This dude is absolutely going to fuck his members. He’s going to keep billing right up until he officially closes, then walk away.

My contract is month-to-month, as my initial one year contract rolled into month-to-month about two years ago. I’ll be calling my bank to put a stop to the payments today, like everyone else.

Scratch one small business.

Weird as IIRC, AF is still a national chain - I know they’re out here (North Carolina). Don’t know if each is independently owned or whatever.

There’s a PF in the town just north of me - they’re closed until the end of the month and apparently sent out a thing last week saying they were suspending billing, so they’re likely closed indefinitely.

My gym is weird. Since I only go at night, I never meet anyone. Didn’t meet the new owner when it was sold a couple years ago. He made some minor upgrades, hired a blonde fitness bimbo and they started calling and email with the “book a personal training session!” nonsense, which is fine. I don’t know him well enough to judge the guy’s character one way or the other, but I’ve dealt with sleazy accounting from gyms before (I’m looking at you, City Boxing San Diego), and am not going through that shit again.

Time to join the White Swallows Spa!

AnthonyWeiner - The owner sent out a hilarious email, saying that although the gym is closing indefinitely, they will still be billing everyone. He broke down the three tiers of memberships, giving details on how each will be credited after the closing ends.

The problem is the gym is a tiny Anytime Fitness (which is nice, as I like to go at 1 a.m.). One of those mega Planet Fitness locations just opened directly across the street, and I’ve known for about half a year that my gym is in danger of going out of business anyways. This dude is absolutely going to fuck his members. He’s going to keep billing right up until he officially closes, then walk away.

My contract is month-to-month, as my initial one year contract rolled into month-to-month about two years ago. I’ll be calling my bank to put a stop to the payments today, like everyone else.

You’ll be billed but credited?

Are they being ordered to close?

If not, I wouldnt. Although I might require people to sign a liability waiver.

FreightTrain - 
AnthonyWeiner - The owner sent out a hilarious email, saying that although the gym is closing indefinitely, they will still be billing everyone. He broke down the three tiers of memberships, giving details on how each will be credited after the closing ends.

You’ll be billed but credited?

Are they being ordered to close?

If not, I wouldnt. Although I might require people to sign a liability waiver.

They are being ordered to close.

That “we will credit you for the closure” nonsense stuck out to me. How? If you’re planning on paying me back, then why charge me? All I can assume is nobody’s being paid back, and the guy is closing shop.

They only just closed? All of our gyms were ordered to close last Thursday. 

Anytime Fitness is a national chain.

Definitely not a “small business” per se but definitely one of the smaller chains of gyms.