My idea for a UG judging experiment.

So after the awful decisions we saw this past weekend, I've been doing some thinking. We all have our thoughts on the state of judging in MMA. Some of us even have an idea for a better system. So my idea is to have each of us submit our own systems and have a group of UGers (hopefully some who are licensed refs and judges as well as former fighters) use the system for as many events as possible in a certain time frame and compare them.

Maybe this all amounts to nothing but who knows. Anyway, this is my idea for a new judging system. It's a modified version of the rules from olympic wrestling, ADCC and the 10 point.

10 point must in effect plus submission grappling scoring

Points (Positive Points):

-Each position must be established for 3 seconds or more being out of any danger of submission in order for points to be awarded.

• Passing the guard = 3 points
• Knee on stomach = 2 points
• Mount position = 2 points
• Back mount with hooks = 3 points
• Sweeps (ends Guard or Half Guard) = 2 points
• Clean Sweep (ends passed the guard) = 4 points
• Bonus point for every 30 seconds of dominant position control

-Sweep is considered when two fighters are facing each other, change the position from bottom to top and establish it for 3 sec. or more.
-Reversals are considered Sweeps as well.
-When changing multiple positions, points will be awarded only for the position that has been established for 3 seconds or more.
-Every sweep has to be done in one continuous motion in order to be awarded with points.
-Points for a sweep will be awarded only if the fighter initiates the sweep, not if he is being attacked by his opponent and he ends up on top.
-When passing the guard going straight to mount or knee on the stomach in less than 3 seconds points will be given only for passing the guard.

Takedown scoring
• takedown resulting in any guard position = 1 point
• takedown resulting in any dominant position = 2 points
• any throw (hip toss, suplex etc) resulting in any guard position = 3 points
•any throw resulting in dominant position = 4 points

Attempted submissions
Count only when submission is locked in = 5 points

Cool idea but I just don't see that working, how the hell could they keep track of all the points as the fight goes on especially in a fast paced fight. 

The fight would have to be watched twice to score it properly using that method.

i think the best scoring is "no scoring"

lock the cage and give them a 20 minute time limit, if no one quits or submits or gets ko'd it goes to a 10 min overtime and if there is still no result after overtime the fight is a draw.

JitznPound -

Cool idea but I just don't see that working, how the hell could they keep track of all the points as the fight goes on especially in a fast paced fight. 

The fight would have to be watched twice to score it properly using that method.

i think the best scoring is "no scoring"

lock the cage and give them a 20 minute time limit, if no one quits or submits or gets ko'd it goes to a 10 min overtime and if there is still no result after overtime the fight is a draw.

I forgot to add that part. You'd have 5 judges. Same normal judges we have now who, for the most part, are competent. But then you'd have a wrestling judge and a grappling judge. The 3 commission judges score the rounds as 10 point must. But the wrestling coach would score the takedowns and throws, as well as keeping track of control time. And then the grappling judge would score, obviously, grappling ie sweeps, positions, subs etc. Also scoring the knockdowns in the form of 10-8, 10-7.

So a round could go early knockdown, 10-8 round. But then for the last 3 and half minutes of the round, the guy who gets knocked down suplexes the other and lands in half guard. Now it's 12-10. Moves to mount, 14-10. And controls for 2 minutes 18-10. Bottom fighter sweeps to the feet and scores another knockdown as the round ends. 17-14 round.

tl; dr

IMO the best judging system is the eye test.  Stats don't tell the full picture - arguments can be made for the number of total strikes vs. the number significant strikes vs. the number of stirkes which caused damage.  Cage aggression/ring control is tough, because it doesn't account well for counter-punchers or those looking to selectively pick their shots.  Takedowns vs. takedown defense/reversals/getting back to the feet, as well submission attempts vs. submittion defense pose problems in judging as well.  The problem is that without a complex system of objective scoring rules worth set points, then any other element of judging had a high degree of subjectivity.

Therefore, I think the best way to do this is to still judge the indivudal rounds, but award the victory to who they felt won the fight as a whole.  At the end of the 3 or 5 rounds, who seemed like they won the "fight."  I wouldn't mind more draws in general, but those would result in too many rematches which hold up divisions, so I think in the case of an apparent draw, they should then fall back on who won the most rounds as the tie-breaker.