My New Bushcraft Knife

Just like me... 9 inches of hardened steel and sex appeal.

We've got my standard 1/8" thick 1084 High Carbon Steel hardened and tempered to around 55RC on the blade and dead soft on the spine and handle. Differential heat treat is FUN.

Zebrawood handles, brown g10 liners with brass pins and a 420 stainless steel lanyard tube.

It's got a zero scandi grind that's been slightly convexed for optimal wood splitting performance while at the same time maintaining a superior cutting edge. This blade fell a tree with only some light batonning. It also survived testing as a railroad spike. I took a 4 pound sledge and drove it all the way into a tree stump. From there, I had to smash it again with the sledge on the tang to even get it close to dislodged. After all the testing, the only damage done was cosmetic. A few passes over a scotch brite belt cleaned it all up and it's good to go.

I am head over heels in love with this thing, and it's gonna be on my belt every time I go out hiking or camping.

Cheers!

Can I buy one? Phone Post 3.0

nice

Looks great.

How long does it take you to make something like that?

What do you charge for that one, and Ive seen some that would be good for skinning. What about a price on something to skin with, and do you have a website?

are you really nine inches?

Havent priced these out yet, but I will be making more eventually for sale. Probably not until sometime next year. I may make some available in O1 and possibly damascus.

That one took maybe 6 total hours spread out over days.

It is full tang and the tang is just as thick as you see there with the wood. Its not a hidden tang, so all that wood you see is ground flush with the steel. Phone Post

fahker - What do you charge for that one, and Ive seen some that would be good for skinning. What about a price on something to skin with, and do you have a website?

Depends on the game. I make both small and big game skinning knives. The smaller ones are in the 60-90 range where the bigger ones start at 125. Phone Post

Oh and no website as of yet... facebook.com/bushkillblades has plenty of photos though. Phone Post

Beautiful blade. Phone Post 3.0

When you offered me a discount on a custom blade I thought you were joking.

I like "stuff", I'll take you up on that soon. How does one shop for an Altofsky blade? Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, damascus isnt cheap but theres a demand for it. Initially, I refused to work with it just because if I fucked up the grinds, itd be a waste of a $300 bar. Now that Ive grown more confident, Im willing to risk it.

Im also working over the idea of doing a companion kit with the blade above and a smaller one for finer tasks and small game cleaning. Ive gotta work out the sheath setup so they can be carried comfortably in tandem. Thats gonna take a lot of field testing though. Ill update with pics when that setup is complete. Phone Post

Rambo John J -

I like the big blade on that one.

Damascus? doesn't that get crazy expensive?

Have you gone big time?

I hope so brother.

A good knife craftsman is such a badass, ancient, and amazingly valuable asset to the Human Race.

It is the #1 tool on the planet after all.

And thank you for the compliment by the way. I hope that by making blades, Crom will allow me into Valhalla. Phone Post

likatiga - When you offered me a discount on a custom blade I thought you were joking.

I like "stuff", I'll take you up on that soon. How does one shop for an Altofsky blade? Phone Post 3.0

Heh. No joke. I do this part time for fun. Teaching my youngest son as well.

I dont have a website, just facebook.com/bushkillblades

When I have something on offer, the OG gets first dibs before anyone else. My first customers were from here. Hell, I married an OGer. So just keep an eye out. If you see something you like, let me know.

Fair warning: All my knives are handmade by me. Mine are the only hands to touch them before they get lanyards from my wife. I shape the steel, establish the bevels, drill the holes, surface grind, harden, temper handle and sharpen the blades myself. It is a very long process and I do have a queue. :) Phone Post

Wife?. The fuck dude
You should know better?????

Pics??? Phone Post

Harmon Whistler - 

Looks great.

How long does it take you to make something like that?

If you don't want to say for whatever reason, no big deal.. just curious.

Sorry, I mentioned it in the post above. Didn't actually quote when responding though.

About 6 total hours over the course of a few days.

More pictures and of other ones? That's a beast. Phone Post 3.0