My review of Stephan's "Unorthodox Positions"

Since I didn't find the original thread and didn't bother to look very hard I'll just create a new one.

It's a review of Stephan Kesting's "Unorthodox Positions and Attacks" - an instructional which you can find by CLICKING here www.grapplearts.com/unorthodox-positions-info.php

The review is rather long so it is divided into two posts starting from the next one. 

/o:smarttagtype<!--[if gte mso 9]>

Normal/w:View
0/w:Zoom

/w:Compatibility
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4/w:BrowserLevel
/w:WordDocument
<![endif]--><!--[if !mso]> classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]>

<![endif]-->

Stephan Kesting – Unorthodox positions and attacks/o:p

/o:p

First of all I want to get out of the way the fact despite being a filmed seminar not a dedicated instructional video, the overall quality of the st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker is excellent. Sound, chapters, picture quality – everything is good. The camera work leaves –a little- to be desired (minor shakiness now and then, always not the best angles etc) but that is a very very minor detail which actually does not disrupt the viewing experience at all.

The format of a seminar actually comes out much more lively than the usual Stephen Kesting that is presented on his „ordinary older“ instructional videos where he just seems this emotionless BJJ robot with infinite knowledge that’ll make your head explode after 15 minutes but that is all good as his voice is such that you’ll be napping after 10 minutes anyway so your life is not really endangered.

So – unlike some previous works by our lovable bald BJJ-android Mr. Kest... I mean Stephan – this st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker is actually watchable in one setting if preferred. 

On a more serious note I personally firmly believe that there are VERY few instructionals out there that SHOULD be watched in one setting and which are more like – „yeah I know all this stuff but at the same time I am picking up sweet concepts along the way that will make my game instantly better“. Despite being one that is watchable in one setting this is NOT one of them. This is by no means a criticism – rather than a disclaimer to watching instructional videos overall – watch 10-15 minutes at a time, try to systemize what you see, go try out the stuff you saw in class, try to figure out what works for you right now and what does not, practice the working bits some more go watch next segment of instructional. This way you can really enjoy an instructional you bought for quite some time and will not waste money & time & attention on crap you do not need nor have the time to watch/actually test out in class.

/o:smarttagtype<!--[if gte mso 9]>

Normal/w:View
0/w:Zoom

/w:Compatibility
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4/w:BrowserLevel
/w:WordDocument
<![endif]--><!--[if !mso]> classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

<![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]>

<![endif]-->

Okay, back to the actual „Unorthodox positions and attacks“ – the st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker is clearly divided into 3 positions each of which contains some techiniques, all conveniently accessible from st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker menu. The 3 positions are scarfhold (kesa gatame); offside scarfhold and reverse mount. Material is nice, I won’t go in depth on that but the offside scarfhold part has the most material, details and applicability (and I think most agree on that with me).

The st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker is fun. In the sense that it approaches systematically something that has not been done before on BJJ instructionals. Yes, you might’ve seen the „odd armlock“ from scarfhold from a crappy pre-WW2  VHS by BJJ blackbelt (and possibly a NHB-fighter) or the kneebar from reverse mount from some pre-WW1 catchwrestling cavedrawings BUT with nowhere near the details that „Unorthodox positions and attacks“ presents. Also the added „seminar outline book“ will serve as a nice reminder of the stuff on st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker so you can easily lend out/sell forward and forget your st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker after watching and keep the book as a reminder of the info.

However to be honest – in regards of improving your actual GAME you can do very well without the st1:stocktickerDVD/st1:stockticker. Escaping those „odd“ positions – if you have your escape fundamentals down you will not have a problem with. As for yourself going to those – you can probably up the percentage on the „orthodox“ stuff you already do and be good on that and be just as well off.

BUT did I say the material is fun? Yes. And I mean it. So – final thoughts:

If you are a grappler with at least 3 years of experience, looking for new ways to pwn n00bs in class and develop your overall skills (in the sense of getting overall better while grappling and trying new things) – this is a nice plaything. However, if you are somebody with less experience and/or looking forward to solidify your core-bjj-game – order some other single disk from Mr. Kest... I mean Stephan. Despite I haven’t seen most of them I am very very confident that they will provide enough info for the rest of your BJJ-life on said position (butterfly guard, half guard, leglocks etc etc). Just make sure to consume it carefully a tiny bit at a time.

Yours truly,

Jorgen Matsi

AlivenessGym Estonia

SBGi affiliate

Team Scared & Paranoid

Gee... 121 views (of which 10 my own witnessing of my own awesomeness) and not a single comment... I guess I'll stroke myself then with a ttt...

"However to be honest – in regards of improving your actual GAME you can do very well without the DVD"

Isn't that opinion very subjective? Some people build entire "games" off unorthodox techniques and positions. Eddie Bravo comes to mind.

Obviously the strict followers of BJJ101 will not want this DVD, but these people don't appear to be the market.

No that opinion is mighty objective. As are all my other opinions.

However, on a more serious note I'd like to point attention to the sentence again:

"However to be honest – in regards of improving your actual GAME you can do very well without the DVD"

= you CAN do well without the DVD = you CAN do well with the DVD as well. For strict followers of BJJ101 - this DVD is a fun plaything. It is not some esoteric/goofy/cool system/gameplan a la Bravo BUT a small systemized collection of stuff you can add. All the positions shown are topgame positions which fit in nicely with all the fundamentals you already know. However you CAN do without them as well... oh crap now I'm starting to repeat myself... kthxbye.

Nice review :)

You spelled StephEn's name wrongly though...and for that you'll get submitted from one of these positions someday...

Indrek R. - Nice review :)

You spelled StephEn's name wrongly though...and for that you'll get submitted from one of these positions someday...

Nice comment :)

You spelled StephAn's name wrongly though...and for that you'll get submitted from one of these positions someday...

Jorx; I believe it's "one sitting", rather than "setting".

I'm a big fan of Stephan's work. I like the way he presents material and am only 1/3 of the way through the DVD, but he certainly has upped my modified kesa game with a couple of new tricks.

I do think the camera work left a bit to be desired.

mikedub07 - 
Indrek R. - Nice review :)

Nice comment :)

You spelled StephAn's name wrongly though...and for that you'll get submitted from one of these positions someday...

LOLPWND!