my scissor gets squashed

Jonpall: Awesome detail. Thank you very much. I'm going to bring this explanation to class tonight and work out some of the wrinkles. I really appreciate you taking the time to put all that down. I hope others read it and get something out of it, too.

I look forward to some happy sweeping. And, the triangle transition is something I never considered, but I think will fit nicely with what I'm trying to do with the scissors.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out.

MAN, DO try the scissor sweep to triangle combo! The guy who does this all the time in my gym calls himself "the triangle grinding machine" because of this combo :) He imagines his training partners line up to roll with him, all waiting to be grinded by his legs because of his lethal triangle.

Right on. The opponent has to be 99% concentrating on the sweep, and I bet even an old, inflexible white belt like me has a chance of pushing that arm through and locking up something.

Also, jonpall, do you ever use the "pivot" sweep (from scissors sweep position, you lift opponent onto top leg, control near arm and dump them the opposite way of the scissors)? If so, how does this work in relation to the 45 degree angle you keep your leg at and the height at which you keep your leg? And, if you use it, when do you switch to it? Sorry to pick your brain, but you seem too valuable a research not to exploit. : ) Thanks.

I don't really use that sweep you're talking about in my game, not yet at least.

But here are some other moves that combine well with the scissor sweep:

• Hip bump (you'd sit up diagonally and face to your left side if you'd just attempted a scissor sweep to your right side - so for the scissor sweep, your, say, left leg is the top leg and then for the hip bump, your left hand posts on the mat behind you. I hope you understand).

• Armbar on his left arm, assuming that your left leg is the top leg.

• Snap his head down with your hand while moving your legs quickly backwards and go to a front headlock.

Last but not least, experiment with all types of guards - if one of them isn't working, chances are that another type might!

Cheers, dude!

jonpall.

jonpall,

It's been a good sweep to me when it presents itself, and it can be initiated from a number of positions.

Thanks very much for the other transitions. The hip bump is a natural, I'm a little embarrassed I haven't thought of that on my own. I don't get a ton of mat time to work things out, so other peoples' thoughts and experience are very helpful.

I appreciate everyone's input.