my son is having a foot amputated and im scared

next week my son is having his right foot amputated due to his , condition he has almost no femur bone on the right side causing causing a huge difference in leg length. theres other issues my son has including a trach but this one has me freaking out!.      

i Guess im just looking for a place to vent a little  and maybe get some info from someone who delt with something similar 

for more info on my son search super dannys page on Facebook my wife updates stuff on there.

Um... Nice thoughts sent your way. Sounds like a nightmare.

Don't they have bone streching devices that can be attached?  It's an old procedure but I remember reading that it can add quite a few inches.  I would think it would be more effective for children since their bones haven't fused yet.

Soup and Beer -

Don't they have bone streching devices that can be attached?  It's an old procedure but I remember reading that it can add quite a few inches.  I would think it would be more effective for children since their bones haven't fused yet.

yes and we talked about that but my so  doesn't have anything to stretch the bone is so small 

dirtymonkey22 - 
Soup and Beer -

yes and we talked about that but my so  doesn't have anything to stretch the bone is so small 

I don't know about the condition but before amputation I'd consult the best orthopedics in the nation.  I think Houston has the best in the world.  That's assuming you haven't done so already.

Sorry to here about this op. Prayers go out to your son.

poor fella... best of outcomes for you all...

Oh man that sucks... sending positive vibes. If it makes you feel better, the procedure itself is pretty routine. Because of the trach they already have an airway so while things can still go wrong it is VERY unlikely. Just sucks it’s happening to a small kid.

Wish you and your son all the best OP!

Soup and Beer -
dirtymonkey22 - 
Soup and Beer -

I don't know about the condition but before amputation I'd consult the best orthopedics in the nation.  I think Houston has the best in the world.  That's assuming you haven't done so already.

hes been with Uof M  and we are now with Beaumont .  what he has is extremely rare and every doc we've seen hasn't really given us any real  answers till now .  i would love to take him to the best of the best but money and insurance wont cover out of state 

Damn, sounds like he got dealt a rough hand.  Hoping for the best for him and you.

Fuck bro .. sorry man .. don’t know if I could handle that .. your a strong dude for coming in here to share .. my family sends their love 

Dang, it hurts just thinking about that.  However, there is a BRIGHT FUTURE ahead for your son!  It may not feel like it, but his will only serve to make him stronger.

PM me and I can get you in contact with an important player in the world of prosthetics.  My niece lost all four limbs due to to sepsis and we made some good contacts during that process.

1 Like

He’s adorable. Wishing the best for you guys. 

Prosthetics are pretty amazing nowadays. My wife’s nephew had to have his leg amputated from just above the knee down when he was about 9. He’s 15 now and is more active in athletics than most kids his age. 

Good luck to the little guy, hope everything goes well for you guys.

What is his diagnosis? Why the trach?

your little man looks like a happy kid. i'm wishing the best for you and your boy.

tapnaporsnapbro - your little man looks like a happy kid. i'm wishing the best for you and your boy.

This! That little trooper will come thru this and keep rolling! His disability may prevent him from running a marathon, but it will open doors in his mind and heart that people who have not faced that kind of adversity could never understand. He will grow into a fine man who actually appreciates what he DOES have unlike the majority of people out there.

Cute kid. Prayers and good thoughts sent his and your way, OP.