My Strikeforce thoughts

My first Strikeforce experience was awesome. Got hooked up with a front row cage side ticket and sat somewhat close by "Big Black" from MTV and got a photo which was a highlight for me! lol.

I thought Werdum did enough to win. I like his game and he weathered an early storm. He is a top level fighter but he wont be much of a threat to Fedor in my opinion. I think Fedor would handle him much like he handled Big Nog but probably finish Werdum with TKO.

Shields did what he had to do to win. It wasnt exciting but sometimes that happens in MMA and more importantly for him he won and moves on. Credit to Mayhem (who i expected to win) who wanted to make it a real fight standing and on the ground but just had trouble with the takedown defense. Shields didnt hurt Mayhem and he did lay and pray at times but he still won with control. That had potential to be a much more entertaining fight but that isnt Shields game to stand and bang.

Soko did better than i thought he would. Had a good battle with Mousasi. Mousasi was alot smaller than i expected for 205 nonetheless he is kicking ass and taking names. He is super talented and like Fedor just seemed so relaxed to me. Sucks that Soko only fights the cream of the crop (Machida, Mousasi) He should get some kind of award.

Fedor is so quick and very impressive for a 205 guy dominating the heavyweight division. In my view, anyone that says he was exposed is way off. Brett Rogers is no slouch so obviously it was gonna be a competitive fight but Fedor did work in the end. In the big scheme of things i think ppl say he was exposed, etc just because he didnt take him out in 36 seconds like he did to Sylvia or maybe because Rogers made it to the 2nd round. In my view Fedor was only in trouble for like 2 seconds when Rogers landed some ground and pound and bounced Fedors head off the canvas then almost got armbarred a split second later. Fedors light on his feet, relaxed, explosive when he needs to be and has sick handspeed, submissions, takedowns, experience, etc, etc.

I would be more excited to see Brett Rogers vs Big Foot then Fedor vs Werdum. Overeem needs to be back in the picture to fight Fedor. I also do think interestingly enough Cain Velasquez would put up a better fight against Fedor than Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin. I see Brock and Shane being overwhelmed with hand speed and flurries like Sylvia was or maybe even hit with that big explosive right hand like Arlovski and Rogers were. Just my 2 cents.

I would be more excited to see Brett Rogers vs Big Foot then Fedor vs Werdum. Overeem needs to be back in the picture to fight Fedor. I also do think interestingly enough Cain Velasquez would put up a better fight against Fedor than Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin. I see Brock and Shane being overwhelmed with hand speed and flurries like Sylvia was or maybe even hit with that big explosive right hand like Arlovski and Rogers were. Just my 2 cents.

this

"Fedor is so quick and very impressive for a 205 guy dominating the heavyweight division. In my view, anyone that says he was exposed is way off."

Well said, this is what fighters saw!! Even if those who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground saw something else.

Great analysis by Mike. Great post.

"Fedor is so quick and very impressive for a 205 guy dominating the heavyweight division. In my view, anyone that says he was exposed is way off. Brett Rogers is no slouch so obviously it was gonna be a competitive fight but Fedor did work in the end. In the big scheme of things i think ppl say he was exposed, etc just because he didnt take him out in 36 seconds like he did to Sylvia or maybe because Rogers made it to the 2nd round. In my view Fedor was only in trouble for like 2 seconds when Rogers landed some ground and pound and bounced Fedors head off the canvas then almost got armbarred a split second later. Fedors light on his feet, relaxed, explosive when he needs to be and has sick handspeed, submissions, takedowns, experience, etc, etc."

COUL NOT BE SAID BETTER. NICE WORK!

Fedor is just on another level, so explosive and fast for a 'heavyweight' and never panics

blue63 - What did you think about Cocker cancelling the Davis vs Miller fight because Strikeforce can't properly manage time?

Cancelling the fight cost the guys possible win bonuses, their sponsorship money, etc. (and as a fighter you know damn well that prelim/lower card guys are the ones who truly need every dime of their sponsor $) yet it has gone largely unnoticed by fans/the media...

Honestly i dont know the scoop. what exactly happened? I got to the venue late i only caught the main card fights.

blue63 - What did you think about Cocker cancelling the Davis vs Miller fight because Strikeforce can't properly manage time?

Cancelling the fight cost the guys possible win bonuses, their sponsorship money, etc. (and as a fighter you know damn well that prelim/lower card guys are the ones who truly need every dime of their sponsor $) yet it has gone largely unnoticed by fans/the media...

I believe this has happened in the UFC before? Although I can't remember the the match-up(s) in which this happened, so don't quote me on this.

From my perspective (who just watched the fights off of TV), the card seemed very professionally run.

Thanks BigBlueNinja, TrainJudo, hmb and PatrickFreitas!

theYak - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - anyone that says [Fedor] was exposed is way off.

IMO Rogan is starting to seem more like a company tool and less like an even-keeled fan of the sport every time he gives his opinion. But that's just my opinion.

Did Rogan really say that? He is really educated and i respect his opinions but maybe that was just his initial reaction before going back and watching it again. I dont know. I would like to hear his thoughts.

theYak - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - anyone that says [Fedor] was exposed is way off.

IMO Rogan is starting to seem more like a company tool and less like an even-keeled fan of the sport every time he gives his opinion. But that's just my opinion.

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  I also do think interestingly enough Cain Velasquez would put up a better fight against Fedor than Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin. I see Brock and Shane being overwhelmed with hand speed and flurries like Sylvia was or maybe even hit with that big explosive right hand like Arlovski and Rogers were. Just my 2 cents.

completely agree.

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - 

Fedor is so quick and very impressive for a 205 guy dominating the heavyweight division. In my view, anyone that says he was exposed is way off. Brett Rogers is no slouch so obviously it was gonna be a competitive fight but Fedor did work in the end...

Agreed.

This Fedor!!!

Thanks guys!

Sidenote, someone in the crowd actually asked me if i was Mark Miller! lol.

Great post. Wish I had had a chance to say Hey.

nice analysis mike.

thanks for a pro perspective

"Brett Rogers is no slouch so obviously it was gonna be a competitive fight but Fedor did work in the end."

Fedor certainly did work in the end. But the general consensus before the fight was that it would be anything but competitive.

"In the big scheme of things i think ppl say he was exposed, etc just because he didnt take him out in 36 seconds like he did to Sylvia or maybe because Rogers made it to the 2nd round."

Correct. According to the religious Fedor fans on this forum, there was no way Rogers even posed a threat to Fedor. This was proven wrong, hence people calling him exposed.

"In my view Fedor was only in trouble for like 2 seconds when Rogers landed some ground and pound and bounced Fedors head off the canvas then almost got armbarred a split second later."

The ground and pound was very good and far more than was expected by anybody. Rogers did more damage to Fedor than anyone else in recent memory. And to be honest, that armbar was nowhere near on. He didn't even have his leg across Rogers' face before Rogers shifted out of it.

Now... none of this is any discredit to Fedor in any way. The man is still quite obviously the #1 HW and has been for quite some time. But the mystique and myth that his fans put forth is unwarranted and unfounded. He's not unbeatable. He's not invincible. He's not a god. He's just a DAMN GOOD fighter and the best in his division. But the fact that a relative nobody fighter in Rogers bloodied him up and reversed all of his groundwork with ease was a nice slap in the face to all those who touted Fedor as some god-like individual.

Rogers shut a lot of people up(including myself) about his abilities last night. Anyone doubting him was silenced last night and needs to eat some crow today. The man fucked up the face of the greatest fighter this sport has ever seen. He made a mess of him in the first round and did extremely well until getting caught coming in. As much as I didn't think he did, he deserves a ton of respect after his performance last night. He forced people to show him some respect and he forced people to reevaluate how they view Fedor in the big picture.

VERY interesting fight that put a lot of changes on the HW picture.

Shanks V3.1 - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  I also do think interestingly enough Cain Velasquez would put up a better fight against Fedor than Brock Lesnar or Shane Carwin. I see Brock and Shane being overwhelmed with hand speed and flurries like Sylvia was or maybe even hit with that big explosive right hand like Arlovski and Rogers were. Just my 2 cents.

completely agree.

couldn't agree more

Kirik -  Great post. Wish I had had a chance to say Hey.

Me too, not so sure when i saw you last!? Maybe the IFL finals at Mohegan Sun in 2006 when Kipp fell asleep in the stands!? hahahahahaha