My Thoughts: Wand & Cung

Like Dan and Shogun, both guys let it all hang out and showed their stuff.

I also do think it was a quick stoppage on Cung. He was not flattened out on his stomach and had the leg. Yes, Wand likely would have sealed the deal but we should let have let him do so in conclusive fashion. As PERFECT case on why you let fighters fight it out is Dan/Shogun in R3. Shogun was beat down just as bad as Cung and took more shots but made it thru.

Could Cung have made it thru? Maybe, maybe not, but he wasnt given the chance and that is the problem imo.

That said, my heart was with Wand and it was a heroic bout for him. I KNEW he could still fight technically like he did with Bisping just a few fights ago.

Also, he FINALLY, FINALLY....FINALLY brought back his kicks and other MT arsenal. Perhaps it was because Cung is not the size of guys like Chuck. For the record, Rampage isnt Chuck's size either. But IMO he relied on his hands exclusively for too long. Cung's strength is diversity in his striking attack. When Wand started to kick and stuff, he gave Cung a taste of that too.

Even though Wand's legacy and heart can never be questioned, he, once again, brought it out there and he is a true MMA hero IMO.

As for Cung, the thing that sticks out for him watching him is that HE IS FUN TO WATCH! You dont know what he's gonna do and there are only a few fighters that have that and can pull it off. Granted Wand isnt in his prime anymore, neither is the 40 year old Cung.

One of the old school UGers (whose name escapes me right now) called it, sorta. Cung eventually wore down and Wand took over. WAND WON VIA EXPERIENCE. Cung def showed his skills and ability but i guess his age and time off showed. Perhaps he could use some of that Hendo old timer diet?

I wish Cung would came over to the UFC earlier. He could have fought probably as a WW. But at least at the age of 40 (41?), he was still able to show his skills at the UFC against an MMA legend.

Wand, the true MMA warrior, imo has the perfect stage to retire now. He apparently doesnt want to but there is no better time to do so imo.

I did say Wand finally brought back his "other MT arsenal" but still have to mention that he finally brought back the plum clinch as well.

It was vintage Wand. Too bad Shogun could not also pull it off.

Well said.

Probably was a tad early but Le was hurt from some big shots and Wand was swarming.

Cungs night wasnt going to get any better from that moment on!

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j417/funrunner66/Wand-v-Cung-logo.jpg

I was really pleased w/ Cung's performance. I thought the stoppage was early, but he didn't really lose. He gained. He proved that he is still a competitive fighter with lots of style. He can put on exciting fights.

My only concern is that he couldn't beat a really top notch fighter that was say 10-15 yrs younger than him. I need to see more cardio. Or cow bell. I can't decide.

Authority Figure - I was really pleased w/ Cung's performance. I thought the stoppage was early, but he didn't really lose. He gained. He proved that he is still a competitive fighter with lots of style. He can put on exciting fights.

My only concern is that he couldn't beat a really top notch fighter that was say 10-15 yrs younger than him. I need to see more cardio. Or cow bell. I can't decide.

Cung may have not been champ in his prime but dam, would it have been cool to have him in MMA/UFC earlier. He is sick to watch and would have given lots of guys trouble. He had the tdd to do so too.

not an early stoppage at all. Dana agrees, the stoppage was just right. The last knee busted up Cung pretty damn hard. He wanted out.

Cunt wanted out because he shot in on Wand's legs?

Ring rust I'm sure was certainly a factor. It's hard to have good cardio and rhythm in there when you haven't been fighting regularly. Wand is past his prime, but he's no joke in there. He's still a threat to most out there. That was vintage Wand finishing though, he swarmed him and landed with good accuracy when he had Cung hurt.

With a broken nose like that, Cung wouldn't have seen the bell for round three even if had gutted it out of round two. It wasn't stoppage characteristic of most Wanderlei fights, but Cung was certainly done for.