My unpopular opinion regarding Donald Sterling

My opinion on Donald Sterling ban-
Injustice.

About 2 years ago, I stopped saying "bless you" for sneezes, or "bless me" if I sneeze. I'm against it, I don't think it serves a purpose. I know I'm in the minority in this belief. However I live in America, I have the RIGHT to have my own beliefs, regardless if some or most disagree with it.

I do not in ANY way condone what was said or his beliefs. However if I am having a personal conversation about how I'm against saying bless you, and I do this in the privacy of my own home, not in public, but someone else makes it public, now all of a sudden I'm getting fined and losing my business because my beliefs?

This is America. There are black people who feel white people think they're superior, or think they are better than non whites. Even though I'd disagree with this black person with these beliefs, he STILL has the right to have those beliefs, regardless if I disagree with them.

The FANS could have a court of public opinion, and the FANS could boycott Clipper games. This would end in him being forced to sell the team or lose money, or both. 

Thoughts?

Yes, Donald Sterling has the right to have those beliefs, and the NBA has the right to punish him for having those beliefs

I don't care about Donald Sterling or what the NBA did to him, but the precedent set is a bit scary. Nowadays if you're a public figure you have to assume you're being recorded on film or audio 24/7. That's a fucked up way to live.

Your opinion fails to recognize that ownership of an NBA team does not mean that you get to do whatever you want. He is subject to the NBA policies just as someone who buys a house in a homeowner's association is subject to the homeowner association policies. If the homeowners association policies say you cannot paint your house neon purple, then you cannot paint your house neon purple. The NFL, NBA, and MLB all have policies that restrict, penalize, etc people who act in a manner that damages the reputation of the respective league.

He can hold whatever belief he wants, but that doesn't mean he has a right to be a part of thre NBA.

/end thread

If this was some anomalous rant while he was drunk it would be one thing, but he has been an utterly despicable racist for decades.

dizz - Yes, Donald Sterling has the right to have those beliefs, and the NBA has the right to punish him for having those beliefs

/thread

You'd get kicked out of the country club for saying shit like that.

Nba is same shit.

He isn't protected by American rights ...because he hasn't broken any laws.

TzTinkle - I don't care about Donald Sterling or what the NBA did to him, but the precedent set is a bit scary. Nowadays if you're a public figure you have to assume you're being recorded on film or audio 24/7. That's a fucked up way to live.

exactly

Getting fired is one thing but being forced to sell the team is just not right. Phone Post 3.0

The People's Knee - 

Your opinion fails to recognize that ownership of an NBA team does not mean that you get to do whatever you want. He is subject to the NBA policies just as someone who buys a house in a homeowner's association is subject to the homeowner association policies. If the homeowners association policies say you cannot paint your house neon purple, then you cannot paint your house neon purple. The NFL, NBA, and MLB all have policies that restrict, penalize, etc people who act in a manner that damages the reputation of the respective league.

He can hold whatever belief he wants, but that doesn't mean he has a right to be a part of thre NBA.

/end thread

+1

I have a right to stand up and make a speech praising hitler, but if I do it at work, I'm not going to be working there anymore.

Kirik - 

If this was some anomalous rant while he was drunk it would be one thing, but he has been an utterly despicable racist for decades.

This. If one of the more reputable owners had spoken like that on tape, it would likely be handled differently. Sterling has been an embarassment to the NBA for years, a lot of the reaction/punishment reflects that wider context.

Kirik -

I don't follow the NBA. I never heard of him before this incident. He said some dumb things on the recording I heard, but nothing that was incredibly over the top in terms of shock value. I'm surprised this has become such a huge deal.... Then again, I've been here since '01 or '02... Perhaps I'm just callous... Phone Post 3.0

"Nowadays if you're a public figure you have to assume you're being recorded on film or audio 24/7. That's a fucked up way to live."

"If you're a public figure" is superfluous. We have to adjust our collective concept of privacy. It's not a thing anymore.

Not just the NbA but housing and other things too. Phone Post 3.0

The People's Knee - 

/end thread

In your analogy, it would be against policy for Sterling to send scouts to interview and try to recruit current college players.  So if he breaks that policy, he gets punished.

Where does the nba have a policy for owners that state in the privacy of your own home you cannot state your personal beliefs?

In your analogy of the HOA, Sterling didn't paint the outside of his house neon purple. He painted the inside of his house neon purple which is not a violation of the HOA. It just so happens that someone from the inside posted pictures of the inside neon purple house.  

When did the right of an individual to have an opinion and state his personal beliefs in private get taken away from him?

The moment he became an NBA owner?

People have this idea that owning an NBA franchise is like owning a toy train set. Just because you can invite your buddies over and smash and stomp your toy trains doesn't mean you get to do the same thing with an NBA franchise. You buy that franchise subject to a variety of restrictions.

TzTinkle - I don't care about Donald Sterling or what the NBA did to him, but the precedent set is a bit scary. Nowadays if you're a public figure you have to assume you're being recorded on film or audio 24/7. That's a fucked up way to live.

This is the speech that is given to Rookies coming into the league by management and agents.  Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, etc.  You're always on stage.  You have to understand that.  Next year's Rookies will get the speech and the example given will be an OWNER.

maantren - 
Kirik - 

This. If one of the more reputable owners had spoken like that on tape, it would likely be handled differently. Sterling has been an embarassment to the NBA for years, a lot of the reaction/punishment reflects that wider context.

I was unaware of that. Thank you for this input and addition to the thread.

Slowshot - 
The People's Knee - 

/end thread

+1

I have a right to stand up and make a speech praising hitler, but if I do it at work, I'm not going to be working there anymore.

He is the NBA owner.  If he was an assistant coach who stated something that his boss the owner didn't agree with, then your analogy makes sense.

But the thing is, he is the OWNER. That means, if YOU were the owner of your work and not just an employee, if you said something that all of your employees disagreed with, which one of them will tell you that you cannot be the company owner anymore?

First world problem Phone Post 3.0

The People's Knee - 

/end thread

Show me where the NBA has regulations on being a racist in your own home? It would be one thing if he was trying to have KKK nights at Clippers games, but it appears to be a private conversation that was publicized.

The fact is 1) the guy never broke the law 2) Has crazy ideas, but they are his to own 3) Never heard him use the N word (havent listened to all the vids)

Since he didnt break any laws and they still tried to run him out, they should have done the same to KOBE and his rape the first time it became public

The guy is an idiot, but the fans not buying tickets and sponsors dropping the Clippers should be the only punishment he received.