Nage no Kata for lower belts

Just thought I'd share this with you. My Judo club is really small, and sometimes, it's just me (a blue belt) and another, plus a couple of senseis. When it's that small, the senseis make us do Nage-no Kata even though our club really only started teaching that to brown belts in the past.

I found that my technique and sense of balance has improved quite a bit once we started doing this. It's certainly helped me during randori. I used to be a sceptic but now I see that it has a place in Judo and imo, more useful that katas done in other arts because there is some element of resistance being applied (as in the case of kata garuma- uke's bodyweight)

What do the rest of the forum member's think? Should it be only taught at a higher belt levels or maybe done at the lower? How do your clubs/dojo do it?

Cheers

Mike

I think it should be tought at all levels but never be a requirement or be forced on anyone. i.e. Stay after practice or seprate non mandatory practice for it.

For some it's usefull because it breaks down the principles of motions and kuzushi so it's nice to have it available.

For people who aproach judo scientifically and think about how every technique works it's of alot less benefit and they should be able to choose if they want to do it or not.

For people like me doing it is about as fun as hitting my shin with a hammer so I try to avoid it like the plague thou at one time i remembered all motions for all 5 sets. I'm a fighter and anything that takes time away from hard randori is extremely unfun to me. (maybe that's why I have such a wonderfull collection of injuries)

So to summarize. It can be benificial so it should be offered at all levels but never forced.

edit: offer other katas while you at it to. They have their purpose. Even stuff like Juno has some nice motion phylosophy that when applied back to randori can be of benefit to some.

If it works for you, do it.

Ben R.

Ummmmmmmm kata? NO NO NO - thinking anti kata thoughts.

David

"Ummmmmmmm kata? NO NO NO - thinking anti kata thoughts.
David"

Jeez, Dave, let's just alienate part of Judo that lots of people do and even benefit from doing.

Ben R.

there should be a seperation between the two if that is what particular people wish. nobody shold be forced to do the kata if they dont wish it and likewise kata people shouldnt be forced to compete if they dont wish it...

i truly do not see what is so difficut about that in any manner. some will say that you dont learn histroy through competition, but id argue otherwise becuase competitors surely know the basic versions of every throw they do as well as their competitive variations.

isnt the seionage in the kata the basic version of the throw? and, dont competitors also do that very throw to the left, right and reverse rather than only the singular direction the kata contains???

Josh, the nage no kata is just another training method. I'm not about forcing anybody to learn it. IN fact, the way it is usually taught is so boring and useless is probably should not be taught at all most of the time.

Regarding the seoinage, seoi was/is my favorite throw forever. But for some strange reason I never really "got it" until 3 years ago when I was practicing the kata with a good teacher. Now I know what it is supposed to feel like in an ideal sense.

I should have learned that a long time ago, and didn't need kata to learn it. But that's what worked for me.

Ben R.

Ben, i understand it as a training method. im meerly saying that the kata, as it is done, is not necessarily something that competitive people have to learn in order to do the throws properly or understand the history of the techniques and certainly shouldnt be the deciding factor on if they are worthy of rank.

im glad that you have had positive results from kata, but i know lots of people who truly feel as if they have done nothing more than waste a valuable training session. a good coach can help people come away with a positive result regardless of it is through the kata or otherwise.