Nam Phan's Body Punching

Did that get anybody else tingly when they saw him ripping Brownie up in the second with repeated body punches?  So effective.  So underutilized.  I was very impressed MTB was able to rally in the third to get the W because speaking from experience those fuckers HURT.

Same here, so much so I actually thought Phan won the fight.

superCalo - body punches are becoming more utilized in mMa, that Brazilian guy against Kingsbury, Nam Phan, Rashads knee to Tito, its something that guys don't seem to be ready for because of most mMa strikers are generally just throwing haymakers looking to head hunt, but good technical striking like this, its the future.

Great analysis as always mr.Calo.  Jon Jones won his strap with a beautiful left hook to the liver followed by a knee as Shogun was falling, but the punch finished Shogun.  Maldanado was great to the body vs Kingsbury...I bet Kingsbury in that fight and I thought Maldanado was robbed.

I agree though, it's the next step, the shit kickboxing matches will be less frequient as fighters start training younger and younger aspiring to be MMA fighters.  Their boxing will be tighter.  Won't be too many Leonard Garcia types around in big shows 15 years from now.

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather take a clean shot to the chin over a clean shot to the liver.  I've got a big thick skull protecting upstairs, nothing lower.

loved em! One of my favorite things to see in a fight is good use of body blows. Phan is definitely one of the best at throwing them too.. and my dude Sakara is good with the body shots as well. He landed some nice ones on Weidman before getting cut up and wrestled out.

Scott Smith is actually pretty good at recieving them, from what I can understand..almost like his liver has a leather magnent embedded.

Mayhem13 - loved em! One of my favorite things to see in a fight is good use of body blows. Phan is definitely one of the best at throwing them.. Sakara is good with the body shots as well. He landed some nice ones on Weidman before getting cut up and wrestled out.

Scott Smith is actually pretty good at recieving them, from what I can understand..almost like his liver has a leatehr magnent embedded.

There was a point a couple years back where it seemed like Smith would double over in pain from body shots at least once per fight.  Joe Rogan always says "the button".  I think Smith's button is in his midsection.

Sakara is another great one, he's now tossing in kicks on the back end of his combos as well.

Yeah, those shots were great and I agree that liver shots are worse than head strikes.

Nick Diaz uses them a lot and King Mo actually used them too much against Feijao.

Tito had the same problem against Machida. He ended up rolling on ground covering his stomach. The reason the knee was succesful last night is because Tito was playing the game of not standing to get kneed in the face, but he was still worried about them and did't cover his stomach at all.

Freeman Dyson - Tito had the same problem against Machida. He ended up rolling on ground covering his stomach. The reason the knee was succesful last night is because Tito was playing the game of not standing to get kneed in the face, but he was still worried about them and did't cover his stomach at all.

Tito should have done the Johnny Hendricks (which should be illegal) and just kept a fingertip on the ground at all times which would have taken the head out of play.

My boxing coach always said he would rather be knocked out from a shot to the head any day then be put down and out by a liver shot.

Got dropped by a pro boxer with body shot in sparring and since that point on I have 1. worked on my abs way more and 2. started throwing more way more body shots. It was one of the worst pains I've felt in training ever and also made me realize body shots in MMA will destroy people, plus my new boxing coach is huge on body work. None of the guys that I've sparred with that are strictly "MMA" guys really throw to the body much and I'd never really been exposed to how bad those fuckers hurt.
Edit: And yes, I was giddy as hell when I saw Nam throwin the body punches

Something else to think about...you don't break your hand punching the body.

superCalo - body punches are becoming more utilized in mMa, that Brazilian guy against Kingsbury, Nam Phan, Rashads knee to Tito, its something that guys don't seem to be ready for because of most mMa strikers are generally just throwing haymakers looking to head hunt, but good technical striking like this, its the future.

Diaz utilizes body shots very well also.

In Rashad vs Tito last night, I think Rashad could have finished it much earlier with some knees to the body when the was abusing tito in side control...alas he didn't throw a single one though.  Knees to the body on a turtling opponent are very underutilized still.  Jones thew some nasty ones on Shogun, GSP finished Serra with them...other than that I dont remember them being used very much in high profile fights.

I once got kneed in the liver by an ex Muay Thai champ from Germany. God that hurt.

jjj2121 - 
Freeman Dyson - Tito had the same problem against Machida. He ended up rolling on ground covering his stomach. The reason the knee was succesful last night is because Tito was playing the game of not standing to get kneed in the face, but he was still worried about them and did't cover his stomach at all.

Tito should have done the Johnny Hendricks (which should be illegal) and just kept a fingertip on the ground at all times which would have taken the head out of play.

That's the same thing Stun Gun did when Diaz blasted him with a knee right? (Fingertip on the ground)

Body shots FTW

jjj2121 - Something else to think about...you don't break your hand punching the body.

another good point!

well unless you land low and hit the hip bone..that could cause a break. but if you throw GOOD/ACCURATE bodyshots, you dont have to worry about breaking your hands.

Mark Hominick and Sam Stout love the liver shot.