Name the new martial art

Can-OWUP-Az Do

I really think that the name is a HUGE deal and that a lot of potential fans are initially turned off because the name is misleading.

Cage fighting: sounds barbaric to some people

mixed martial arts: anything with the name "martial arts" sounds like a lot of guys in kimonos doing kata and meditating.

ultimate fighting: probably the best, but it still sucks. Also, its really more of a brand name than anything.

NHB: not acurate. sound barbaric to a lot of people.

When I tell people about the sport, I usually call it "ultimate fighting." but all in all i think I agree that MuayJiuSamThaiJitsuBo is the best possible name.

Remember before the UFC when lots of Joe Schmo martial arts teacher would claim the ultimate hybrid arts?

"John Smith has combined his blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, Juijitsu, Aikido, Judo and Kung Fu to combine the most comprehensive art in the world, Completeshit-Do.

Completeshit-Do is a hybrid of John Smith's 25 years in martial arts as well as his experience in hundreds of street fights.

NO ART WILL PREPARE YOU LIKE COMPLETESHIT-DO!"

Max

hate to break it to ya fellas, but we are definately stuck with Mixed Martial Arts.

MMA and Vale tudo are not styles...they are a form of competition!

MMA is exactly what it states ... a mix of martial arts.

Let the individule decide what arts he will mix....

I love when I ask someone from some 'mma' club what they train... and they say "mma..."

I'm like .. "uh, no.......you may train FOR mma but.... what styles do you train? BJJ, wrestling , Judo, boxing?"

and there like...."uh...i train MMA...."

I'm like...."beat it nerd!"

I really like Submission Fighting because thats what you're doing in the cage, making your opponent submit verbally, by tap out, or ref stoppage.

There is no "style" you just have people competing with different strategies and techniques either from the background they came from, or what works for them in the competetion environment.

I think we are stuck with MMA, which is ok, but I like the name Sportfighting. You are taking the raw act of fighting and making a sport out of it by adding agreed upon rules and ref etc. It isn't boxing or MT or BJJ, but a fight that you practice and prepare for and you carry yourself with a sportsmans attitude(ideally).

I think Submission Fighting and Sportfighting are both good.

lol @ hunglikeahorse

Submission fighting doesnt include knockout. I think sport fighting encompasses what we do better.

gentleman's fighting

pbolger

you wrote:

"Now everyone in mma uses pretty much the same style. Muay Thai like stand-up, with BJJ like grappling (submission wrestling/sambo and others). Do you think there will ever be a name for the style?"

Good Lord I hope not. Soon as that happens you'll develop substyles that specialize in one or another aspect of it and it'll be like many TMA's today.

Matter of fact, don't give it a name. Just go to the gym and work on your standup and work on your grappling and work to apply them together.

Mark

?

MMA and Vale tudo are not styles...they are a form of competition!

"MMA is exactly what it states ... a mix of martial arts.

Let the individule decide what arts he will mix....

I love when I ask someone from some 'mma' club what they train... and they say "mma..."

I'm like .. "uh, no.......you may train FOR mma but.... what styles do you train? BJJ, wrestling , Judo, boxing?"

and there like...."uh...i train MMA...."

I'm like...."beat it nerd!""

BUFFGEO really nailed it with that. I feel that you may spar MMA style, but we all have our more specific areas that we focus on. For me it's kickboxing and submisssion wrestling.  Sometimes I focus more on just boxing, sometimes more on BJJ. But when put together for competition purposes it becomes MMA.

Integrated Fighting Systems?

Actually Submission Fighting is pretty good. It hits both striking and grappling because a pure submission match isn't really a "fight," its more a "match."

Fighters Gungho....