Naming techniques (tricks)

>Standardized Techniques * the number of techniques in the style * the number of repetitions = ability to apply "variations" on the standardized techniques Biomechanics + Objective/Scenario * Fluid Drills (exploratory games) = Tricks (improvised techniques)

it's not the trick that counts... it's the mechanics behind it. it's not that one would work better... it's that the mechanics are off. If the mechanics are the same (well, similar) it will most likely have the same type of effect. one you understand the mechanics of WHY it works, you can play around with HOW to work the mechanics. a name is merely a name... don't give more power to it than necessary. By adopting names for everything, it becomes the "right" way to do it.

Scott:

Great answer. You are right, it is not fair to compare and contrast Sambo to judo or even Sambo to ROSS. I guess I am just wondering on a practical matter how you conduct class. Perhaps it would help me if you gave me an example of a "principle" and the ultimate use of a relevant and related trick in a given scenario.

If you see a student not performing a trick effectively do you then go to him and say "we must review your principles?" Ideally I would love to watch one of your classes, and maybe if I am ever out your way I will.

Thank you for your patience.

Sambo Dep

well, one example would be manipulating the shoulder in a question mark. you could simply question mark the shoulder downwards... you could question mark it while using a greco-roman style bodylock, you could manipulate it in the same manner and use a major outer reap (o-soto-gari in judo) and yet still manipulate the shoulder the same and use a cross knee pick (naka-ashi dori in judo)... the basic mechanics are the same.