NASA releases stunning 5 yr time lapse of the Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-41gAPmUG0

NASA released a spectacular five-year time lapse of the sun on Wednesday to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the launch of the Solar Dynamics Observatory.

The observatory, or SDO, aims to improve our understanding of the sun’s energy and its effects on Earth and near-Earth space.

For this footage, the team captured one frame of the sun every eight hours from June 2010 to Feb. 8, 2015.

“The images that have all the pretty loops and arches are extremely hot material,” physicist Dean Pesnell said in an interview with Yahoo News. “We would like to understand where all those arches come from. They are filled with things that are about 2 million degrees. The sun itself is just about 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit.”

Pesnell, project scientist for SDO at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., said the different colors represent various temperatures.

Throughout the video, the wavelengths are presented in isolation or blended together with others.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-releases-stunning-five-year-time-lapse-of-sun-213345163.html

Watching this gave me a very irie feeling

In for later. Thx OP

I wonder what these 'things' are that get up to 2 million degrees inside the arches you see. My mind can't even comprehend something that hot... 10,000 degrees F seems outrageously hot already so something a couples hundred times hotter just blows my mind.

Today I bought a coffee and made myself a nice breakfast before settling down to read a book on my morning off. It appears my day has been meaningless.

Darth_Vladar - Today I bought a coffee and made myself a nice breakfast before settling down to read a book on my morning off. It appears my day has been meaningless.
LoL Phone Post 3.0

NASA | 5 Year Time-lapse of the Sun

Thanks steve!

tldr; what's the function of cycling through the wavelength filters?

Sub Phone Post 3.0

One day it will be gone. Crazy to think that if man doesn't figure out how to leave in space that one day he will be wiped out. Phone Post 3.0

Cool Phone Post 3.0

BarkLikeADog - tldr; what's the function of cycling through the wavelength filters?

SDO is flying with three instruments: the Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA), the Extreme Ultraviolet Variability Experiment (EVE) and the Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager (HMI).

Each of these performs different measurements, to better understand the causes of solar variability and how it affects our planet.

By observing the sun with extreme ultraviolet light, ultraviolet light and visible light, scientists can better understand why the sun's magnetic fields are always moving, and how material passes through the corona (the plasma surrounding the sun).

“It’s been a great success,” Pesnell said. “We had a couple thousand scientific papers come out describing SDO data. For the first five years, we’ve seen things we never expected to see.”

^I understood why they exist. I'm asking what's the point of cycling through them for the time-lapse vid.

1 year would have been good enough for me

BarkLikeADog - ^I understood why they exist. I'm asking what's the point of cycling through them for the time-lapse vid.

Yea, I honestly thought it took away from the effect a little but but I think they were trying to highlight the different aspects of the magnetic field's movement.

That's pretty cool. Makes me think Damn this thing has to blow up pretty soon =/ Phone Post 3.0

billid - 1 year would have been good enough for me

It would have made more sense to keep the filter consistent so you could track the changes more easily throughout the five year period