Nate Diaz removed from rankings for refusal

vagabond -
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - Lol could you imagine if this happened in a real sport...

You mean if a team would refuse to play? Yeah I could see them being removed from official standings.

Athletes making 10-15% of the revenue, take it or leave it contract negotiations, hand picked contenders based on how much money the owners stand to make, no job security. Employer airing dirty laundry in public.

Yeah I could see a guy not wanting to take a fight.
Nate just signed a new contract before his last fight. He wasn't forced to do so. Phone Post 3.0

vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

You mean if a team would refuse to play? Yeah I could see them being removed from official standings.

Athletes making 10-15% of the revenue, take it or leave it contract negotiations, hand picked contenders based on how much money the owners stand to make, no job security. Employer airing dirty laundry in public.

I think your 15% is generous. IMO it is more than likely around 6-8% of revenue.

If the media has any balls, they'll boycott the ranking system.

Lol it is what it is Nate will be ranked if he fights again.... everyone relax the rankings help my non MMA fan friends out whenever there's a fight, great tool to educate casuals Phone Post 3.0

orcus - If he is currently refusing to fight in the UFC, why would he be ranked in the UFC?

"He fought 7 months ago. That's not enough inactivity to be released from ranking regardless of the reason"

He is not inactive because he is injured or anything, he is inactive because he is refusing to compete. There is no reason to assume he will suddenly decide to compete again; if he does, he will no doubt be returned to the rankings.

Has Nate Diaz officially retired? No he hasn't. He's not refusing to compete friend. He's trying to get a better contract. This shit happens but no legitimate ranking system would unrank a fighter who isn't retired and hasn't fought in 7 months.

I cant feel sorry for Diaz. He signed the contract. Phone Post 3.0

OblongBox - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

I think your 15% is generous. IMO it is more than likely around 6-8% of revenue.

I always overestimate when talking about the ufc revenue split. That way it gives room for the magical backroom bonuses.

OblongBox -
orcus - If he is currently refusing to fight in the UFC, why would he be ranked in the UFC?

"He fought 7 months ago. That's not enough inactivity to be released from ranking regardless of the reason"

He is not inactive because he is injured or anything, he is inactive because he is refusing to compete. There is no reason to assume he will suddenly decide to compete again; if he does, he will no doubt be returned to the rankings.

Has Nate Diaz officially retired? No he hasn't. He's not refusing to compete friend. He's trying to get a better contract. This shit happens but no legitimate ranking system would unrank a fighter who isn't retired and hasn't fought in 7 months.

Well he is refusing to fight till he gets a new contract. He's turned down many fights. I don't see how you can say he isn't refusing fights. Phone Post 3.0

thelorn420 - I miss the WWE PPV last weekend. Did Bones the homophobic retain his title?

Nope super cena got the title again.

OblongBox - 

Just saying, but he's trying to get a new contract BY refusing to compete. 

The point being, he's still refusing to compete, in which case, I don't think it's outlandish to remove him. If he's not going to fight in the future, what's the point of having him in there taking up space? When he is ready to fight you plug him right back in. 

time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

What does that have to do with anything? Lol. You suggested it wouldn't happen in a "real" sport when it probably would. It was a stupid thing to say, no sport would tolerate refusing to perform.

I was pointing out that a real sport wouldn't be in this type of situation to begin with.

Reguardless of nates contract issues, the ufc telling the media that nate is off the rankings is absolute bush league nonsense.

Why not have dana just make them up as he pleases?

Dominic cruz hasn't fought in 2 years yet is still ranked at #9.

Nate has a dispute over pay and is deemed inactive.

Its obvious what is going on here.

vagabond - Dominic cruz hasn't fought in 2 years yet is still ranked at #9.

Dominic Cruz has been injured wanting to fight this entire time. Nate refuses to fight because of a contract he just signed. Big difference IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Now maybe you want to say, well cruz is just injured, not refusing to fight.

Well tj grant is injured to.... yet he was removed from the rankings.

No matter how you look at it, its just more bully tactics from zuffa to put pressure on a figher so they get what they want.

OCMikey - 
vagabond - Dominic cruz hasn't fought in 2 years yet is still ranked at #9.

Dominic Cruz has been injured wanting to fight this entire time. Nate refuses to fight because of a contract he just signed. Big difference IMO. Phone Post 3.0

Right on cue.

Tj grant is also injured. He was just removed from the rankings dispite being out less time than dominic.

John M - 
OblongBox - 

The point being, he's still refusing to compete, in which case, I don't think it's outlandish to remove him. If he's not going to fight in the future, what's the point of having him in there taking up space? When he is ready to fight you plug him right back in. 

Yet UFC won't release him from his contract. This is laughable at best. If they're willing to remove him from the rankings why not remove him from his contract then? If you can't see that this is shady shit I don't know what to tell you.

OblongBox -
John M - 
OblongBox - 

Yet UFC won't release him from his contract. This is laughable at best. If they're willing to remove him from the rankings why not remove him from his contract then? If you can't see that this is shady shit I don't know what to tell you.

What would be the point of a contract if you can just get out of it anytime you want by turning down fights.

You would be a horrible business man. Phone Post 3.0

time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

What does that have to do with anything? Lol. You suggested it wouldn't happen in a "real" sport when it probably would. It was a stupid thing to say, no sport would tolerate refusing to perform.

I was pointing out that a real sport wouldn't be in this type of situation to begin with.

Reguardless of nates contract issues, the ufc telling the media that nate is off the rankings is absolute bush league nonsense.

I misunderstood then, sorry. The other sports don't have rankings because they're all based on seasonal standings. I still don't see how bush league this is considering other sports would have come down much harder on an athlete for refusing to perform. They'd probably issue fines and other punishments. Removing an inactive fighter from media voted rankings doesn't seem like that big a deal. The NBA will fine a player for wearing their headband up side down.

I would be alright with some sort of fine system but manipulating the rankings reaks of illegitimacy.

This is the same organization that tries to erase legends from the history books when they dont agree on terms.

vagabond -
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - 
time traveling 12er - 

I misunderstood then, sorry. The other sports don't have rankings because they're all based on seasonal standings. I still don't see how bush league this is considering other sports would have come down much harder on an athlete for refusing to perform. They'd probably issue fines and other punishments. Removing an inactive fighter from media voted rankings doesn't seem like that big a deal. The NBA will fine a player for wearing their headband up side down.

I would be alright with some sort of fine system but manipulating the rankings reaks of illegitimacy.

This is the same organization that tries to erase legends from the history books when they dont agree on terms.

How is it manipulating? Why should a fighter be ranked if he is refusing to fight?For all zuffa knows nate will never fight again.

And what legends has the UFC erased? Phone Post 3.0

time traveling 12er - 
vagabond - Now maybe you want to say, well cruz is just injured, not refusing to fight.

Well tj grant is injured to.... yet he was removed from the rankings.

No matter how you look at it, its just more bully tactics from zuffa to put pressure on a figher so they get what they want.

Are you suggesting that they're trying to bully tj grant? If not this seems to more support the idea that removing fighters from the rankings has nothing to do with bullying.

I don't know what it means. It just shows inconsistancy in how they decide who is in the rankings.

Cruz injured= still ranked

Grant injured= not ranked

Diaz fought more recently than both = not ranked