Navy/MSC. Iran/Straight of Hormuz

Sea Snakes are nice, until they kill you.

Some more random pics i took

The night sky while out at sea:

4 Likes

had a view like this on a sailboat for a few nights when i was little, you would see a “shooting star” every few minutes, it was amazing.

great posts!

2 Likes

One of my favorite things to do was to go to the very top of the ship, or on the grating near the life boats, after theyve went, “darkened ship” and watch the sky. I have an app on my phone that you can point at the sky to get all the stars/planets/constellations. But im a dork for astronomy, so.

3 Likes

I did this back in the day in the Persian gulf many nights during Operation “Enduring Freedom”. One very clear yet dark night the whole sky became bright. I jumped to my feet expecting to see a destroyer sending missiles to Baghdad but much to my surprise there was no ship there. The missile just deployed right from empty water in the distance which was clearly a submarine deploying a Tomahawk cruise missile.

3 Likes

Whoa! Yeah you dont see that every day haha.

1 Like

Yeah that’s pretty damn rare

2 Likes

Here is japan/US after an UNREP.

And this is the japanese ship, JS Kashima, band that played while out at sea after completing an UNREP with us. This is the one and only time ive seen this done.

I wish i had a clearer copy

Our captain pissed the Japanese off here. Making matters worse, their ship carried a high ranking officer on board.
We were trying to retrieve our bag we had sent across (language barrier). The miscommunication was apparently irritating to our captain. So when the japanese sent across a gift for us (somewhat customary by US and foreign ships after an UNREP), i had to run the gift from the station up to the bridge, and our captain refused it! He aggressively told me to send it back. So i then had to run their gift all the way back to the station where i told the BM that sending this back will cause an international incident. (Its my understanding that Japanese custom takes quite a bit of offense to refusing and returning gifts). Nobody at the station liked the idea of sending it back, especially after all the earlier bag miscommunication drama. But captain’s orders.

We send the gift back and on the japanese side they were freaking out. Officers were coming down to the station and yelling and waving off the return. But we FORCED it back. On the japanese end they removed it and stormed of…
Sure enough, a couple days later US navy shoreside recieved correspondence from high, Japan detailing their displeasure. The next day we UNREPd them again and this time we took their gift. I, once again on station, reluctantly ran the gift up to the bridge. They sent a really nice bottle of sake, stickers, pins, neatly packaged cookies/treats.

1 Like

Your captain slapped their honor right in its face lol

2 Likes

We transited the straits once on the USS Hewitt (DD 966), alone. It was spooky. Iranian gun boats followed us out pretty far and continued to harass us. We altered course 3 times and they followed suit twice but not the 3rd time. We were independent steaming and did the whole deployment alone. Well we weren’t alone alone but we were the only surface ship.
It was an amazing deployment.

I also transited the straights on the Bon Homme Richard and the Boxer. Both times the MEU had all of their artillery pieces on starboard side of the flight deck, all guns traned at Iran. Never saw an Iranian gun boat on either one of those deployments.

MSC is Military Sealift Command right?

1 Like

We should thank them for the free combat readiness training

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Our anchor out at sea

Foggy day at sea

This is stuff im ploading that ive filmed of course

sunset from the ship while out at sea

Video i took of the uss stockdale underway after an unrep

Great pics, thanks for sharing