NBA Finals Broke Records on Social Media

• The league saw a 19% increase in video plays during the 2022 Finals.
    • Instagram Reels accounted for 60% of the NBA’s social video plays.

CARY EDMONDSON-USA TODAY SPORTS

JUNE 21, 2022

The NBA closed out the season with a bang on social media.

The league eclipsed 2 billion video plays for a 19% increase over last year — the latest evidence that the league has become a model for digital marketing in sports.

The uptick was due to several factors: The NBA celebrated its 75th anniversary, and the Finals featured a clash between the Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics, two high-profile franchises in two of the biggest sports markets.

But the year belonged to Finals MVP Steph Curry, who became the league’s most marketed player, accounting for 28% of the NBA’s social video plays amid a pair of legendary performances in the title series.

The matchup, star presence, and aggressive marketing made for a record-breaking NBA Finals on social media.

• Video plays were up 19% from 2021; 45% from 2020; 56% from 2019.
  • Instagram Reels (716M) accounted for 60% of the NBA’s social views during the Finals.
  • The league hit 88 million YouTube views — a 60% jump from 2021; 47% from 2020.

On NBA-related sites and apps (i.e. NBA.com, NBA App), the league drew 61 million visits during the series — a 13% increase from last year.

The league is already a powerhouse in this space, and its dominance should only increase with the emergence of a younger demographic enjoying the game via social media — even if the bar has now been set formidably high.

“NBA cable ratings are down! Haha go woke go broke! I hate the NBA but wont stop talk about it on the OG! LeBron is literally Hitler!!!” - Right wing OGers

1 Like

Ignored content.

13 Likes

What was woke about this years playoffs? Curious

2 Likes

I hope Steph used his platform to call for Britneys Feedom!

2 Likes

Steve Kerr and others were pretty outspoken about the need for gun control.

1 Like

Kerr, Popp, and others can go fuck themselves

4 Likes

Why have him on ignore if you are just going to post “ignored content” when he posts? You are an attention white just like he is.

3 Likes

i hate attention whites

1 Like

Now do television ratings.

2 Likes

This…

Who curs what people do wit they Obama phone…

1 Like

Attention blacks are worse

1 Like

It was a great playoffs this year. We’ve got some new blood over the last few years that are making things interesting.

Hope Memphis can get further next season!

1 Like

I have no skin in the game here as I don’t watch the NBA so don’t give a fuck how woke or not they are but I’m curious how highlight reels on social media translate to ratings. I would assume overall viewership is down, no?

Let’s be fair, even though I could give two fucks about basketball I will still click to watch a nice dunk or someone getting their ankles broken if it comes across my feed.

1 Like

racist wonder showzen GIF

Oh fuck this thread isn’t about basketball is it? This is going to be 400 posts of political arguing. OF COURSE

Good thing we banned GeeGeeMacky!! Can’t have any fun around here — we need to leave room for this type of bullshit!

Way to go fuck head mods!!!

3 Likes

You know this isn’t positive right? You want people to watch the games not 10 sec video clips of giant vaginas mean mugging and acting hard after a 3 pointer.

I put the poop on the poop in a fart toot toot

There now you have your Geegeemacky.

I’ll take it. Might be the most interesting post that will be made in this entire thread.

1 Like

I mean, whenever I decide a fight card is too shitty to pay for, I just watch video clips on twitter as they happen. That’s what this is an indication of. People don’t want to go to/watch all/support the games, so they get their instant gratification on social media.

Now is that a benefit? Idunno, I’m an idiot. Is the NBA monetizing these social media posts in a way that it’s offsetting the lost revenue of traditional viewership? Idunno.