Nearly Half Of 2021 COVID Hospitalizations Weren’t For Severe Cases

Just saw this article. Why the hell are the hospitals admitting them if they are asymptomatic or a mild case?

2 Likes

Where in this were we talking about the vaccine?

1 Like

read your own damn article.

Well if you go in with a broken leg and get covid tested I guess now it’s a positive covid case. Lol

1 Like

Once again, WHO THE FUCK WAS TALKING ABOUT THE VACCINE EFFECTIVENESS?

To be clear this was pediatrics.

People should understand what goes on when someone seeks medical care.

A patient arrives at the ER. Obviously, when they require oxygen or worse, they are directly admitted on the floor.

If symptoms are nill or mild, they are sent home. Sometimes, you don’t know which way a condition will go. Example: an older person with shortness of breath but not quite needing oxygen yet. What you do then is “observe” a patient in the ER for 12-24h. Some hospitals, like mine in Quebec, considers that “hospitalization”. Mine in NYC does not.

Regardless, those being admitted on a ward, using a hospital bed, are NOT asymptomatic.

They also mention that people that showed up with mild symptoms but a lot of comorbidities would be admitted for observation.

That’s fair. Observation is entirely reasonable. If we see someone old and obese who doesn’t “look” quite well, we keep them in the ER for up to 24h.

As for patients who are asymptomatic, we can’t stop them from coming to the ER, but we don’t admit them and let them take a hospital bed.

And like you pointed out what qualifies as hospitalization can vary between hospitals, just to help make that water a little muddier.

2 Likes