Need advice for insulation in crawlspace.

So there is a room in the house that gets pretty cold in the winter. I crawled under the house the other day to take a look around and there was some really brittle boards covering the spot where the insulation is. I pulled the boards off, which seemed like some sort of ceramic/wood/cardboard material but most broke while trying to pull them off the floor joists to expose the existing insulation. 

I added new insulation on top of the existing insulation and it looks pretty solid but I'd like to close up that space so the insulation isn't exposed but I really don't know what type of material to use. Would like to use something that is flame retardant and would keep any creatures or bugs from getting at the insulation. 

So any suggestions as to what materials to use to close up the space?

In my crawlspace there are little pieces of 1x6 or so that are nailed between the joists that hold the insulation up firm against the sub floor.

Any kind of wood.  Don't worry about bugs and stuff,

Kevin85 -

In my crawlspace there are little pieces of 1x6 or so that are nailed between the joists that hold the insulation up firm against the sub floor.

Was thinking of just using plywood or something but was hoping for something a little flame retardant. Also something a little beefier than wood so animals or termites would have a tougher time getting through it. 

In. Looking at replacing my crawl space insulation with closed cell foam. 

StevetheWeasel -

It sounds like the stuff you ripped out was some type of masonite board. You could use the same thing. It's cheap and easy to handle. There are fire-retardant plywood and OSB options, as well. Is there s reason you're especially concerned about fire in the crawl space? If the rest of your house isn't fire rated, there might not be much net benefit for the cost.

He's gonna grow pot and cook meth down there. 

1 Like

Fill the entire space with blown in fiberglass insulation. It's non flammable and anything that gets in there will regret it. 

Foam board?  Seal the vents?

mark

Did the stuff you removed look like this?

StevetheWeasel -

It sounds like the stuff you ripped out was some type of masonite board. You could use the same thing. It's cheap and easy to handle. There are fire-retardant plywood and OSB options, as well. Is there s reason you're especially concerned about fire in the crawl space? If the rest of your house isn't fire rated, there might not be much net benefit for the cost.

I think you might be right about the Masonite board. Thanks!

TTT.