Need critique on my first comp

Hey,

I plan on building my first comp, and have put together a list below of various parts from NewEgg. Although I don't know if I'd be a "hardcore gamer," I would like to be able to play the latest graphic-intensive games....

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail -- $182

ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL -- $295

Antec 380W Power Supply, Model "TRUE380" -RETAIL -- $60

ASUS 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4P800 Deluxe" -RETAIL -- $127

(2x) Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM -- $168

Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6Y160P0, OEM Drive Only -- $124

Thermalright SLK-947U Copper Heatsink for both Intel and Amd,Retail -- $40

Samsung 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model SW-252FRNS, Retail -- $37

Can anyone recommend a good (and not too expensive) case?

Also, the total comes out to a little over a $1000, and I didn't want to spend more than $900. What can I "downgrade" to make things cheaper?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

case is not that crucial unless you're planning on overclocking and need provisions for fans. Go to the store and pick one up that you like. Recommend 1g of ram. Good choice on the vid card. Also recommend Western Digital drives, but thats a personal preference.

Sounds good tho!

I just built a similar sytem in Dec. P4 2.6

For the difference in price I'd go with an AMD if I where building it again. HT has been a total pain in the ass to the point where I keep it disabled.

For a case I went with a Chen Ming 601.... Its nice to have the extra elbow space when your building it... looks sharp.

I would go with AMD for the processor, myself.

MAybe drop down to a 9600pro video card...

try and get the i875 chipset

and i would also go with AMD64

ive been testing the AMD64 3200 in shop today witha GB of ram and 9600 all in Wonder

FUCKIN FAST MAN, and i tried out the Win XP 64 Beta, pretty fuckin ko0, stable and picked up all driver and only had to get the sound a nic driver off planetamd.com

GO AMD64 dude, specially if ur a gamer, u wont be dissappointed

my AMD 64 3000 hauls some serious ass indeed :)

I have the 9800 pro tho... man I can run ANYTHING with high display settings and it runs fine. You can bog it down with like 16x aniso, but there's nothing that'll run that quite yet.

1) Most cases come with a power supply, so you probably won't need to buy a separate one.

2) If you're buying a separate heatsink/fan, you don't need the retail processor, just get the OEM.

3) Also, you will need thermal paste. I recommend Arctic Silver Ceramique. It is inexpensive.

I would also go with AMD, but that's just me. AMD 64 if you're already planning on spending that much money.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm surprised that there are a lot of AMD fans on this forum.

I hate AMD hehehe

Jerkie: you hate AMD?

yes yes i do

fuck AMD to ell and my 2 AMD machines as well

just jokin dude hehehe

Im a Loyal AMD bitch

Go AMD, if you choose a Nforce2 based board get one with the MCP-T/Soundstorm option so you have Dolby Digital decoding in hardware onboard, OR if you get some other variant for AMD64 (Nforce3, K8T800 etc.) then get a board using one of the new high end audio chipsets (e.g. Via Envy24HT supporting Dolby Digital EX).

Better price/performance with AMD easily, also far better onboard audio options that negate you having to covet an Audigy2, etc.

with that computer, you can fly the space shuttle.

geez.

stephen

that was meant to be sarcastic, right ZeStephen?

the shuttle uses radiation and E-Mag hardened 386's
as it's main computers

AMD all of the way and get a bigger power supply...450 at least. That way you can have it for later upgrades, video cards take some power.

Thanks again everyone for all the responses. Quick question, though: Do I need a separate sound card? Or what is this "onboard" sound I'm reading about?

That's a good looking system. Some of the 865's come with onboard sound. If you're getting one of these make sure you get the one with 5.1 or 6.1 instead of 2.1 and you're set. The only way to really bring the price down is to go with a cheaper video card. The 9800 non pro may save you some money and if you have the balls you can flash the bios to a pro or just overclock it to pro levels. Also, the chips come with a stock cpu fan and if you're not overclocking you don't have to blow the 40 on the thermalright.

edited to add this:

a good case is "Chenming A2ESW Aluminum Case w/ side panel window". It's quite inexpensive and stays very cool. It comes with two fans blowing out of the back and one in the side panel sucking air in. Also, one at the front that sucks air in. Very good case for the price.

I will never again build a system unless it has RAID.

Check out the new Seagate 7200.7 smart SATA drives. I got the 120 gig for $105 at Newegg and its fast.