Need dog advice

My chihuahua mix is 14 yrs old. He is in relatively good health, besides normal slowing down that comes with age. His only issue the vet ever mentions is his teeth. I have always given him milk bones and mini rawhides that until the last few years kept his teeth nice. One vet says due to his age she worries about putting him under for a deep cleaning, another vet says she is not worried.

My concern is his teeth may just fall out and he needs soft food, or he could not wake up from the anesthesia. I don't mind spending the money either, that is not an issue in this case. Phone Post 3.0

I would not put a 14 year old dog under general anesthesia.  Most vets won't do it past age 12.  Better a toothless dog than a dead one. 

Seems like it would be easy to fuck up anesthetic on a small dog like that.

My mom had a 140lb Mastiff that died when under anesthesia. Before the operation even began.

I wouldn't do it. Phone Post 3.0

angryinch -

I would not put a 14 year old dog under general anesthesia.  Most vets won't do it past age 12.  Better a toothless dog than a dead one. 

That is kinda what I said. The vet who wants to do it said he is in great health and she is not worried, but it isn't her dog to worry about. I have had this little fella since I was a kid. Phone Post 3.0

I would use Greenies instead of rawhide chews.  Rawhide is not easily digestible for them.   I'd say either Greenies or Bully sticks.  The only thing is that if the dog's teeth are already really bad, bully sticks might cause them to fall out.  Greenies are softer and clean their teeth pretty well.  

I haven't tried it myself but I just had my dogs teeth cleaned and they suggested C.E.T. treats to help with battling teeth problems. I did a little research on it and they seem legit. You should check it out. Phone Post 3.0

I had my little vato bad teeth pulled Phone Post 3.0

dont put him under

try to brush his teeth with ur finger while u hold him

and treats that r hard are doing the good work shan

dont put him under for a trivial teef cleaning!

Greenies have been a staple for Duke for a while. I have no idea why all of a sudden the poor bastard's teeth went bad. I know other diseases could arise from tooth decay but I am super worried about him going under. Phone Post 3.0