Need help with a couple questions

I am twenty years old and have wanted to go into Army or Marine special forces since fifteen, however right after I turned eighteen my son was born, which needless to say altered my plans. Recently I have been swayed more towards the Army because of the combatives program and wanting to compete in MMA. I would really like to go active duty, but my fiance doesn't want to leave Colorado and I couldn't see being away from my son for multiple years at this point in his life. I have decided to go into the reserve most likely, but I had a few questions for experienced soldiers.

One of the main reasons I want to get in the Army is to get the combatives training and get into MMA, but I was wondering if it is possible to even do all the training if you aren't active? I am also hoping to get an MOS that would allow me to train others in combatives eventually or possibly even a drill sgt., but I don't know if you are able to go into any of the specialty schools throught the reserves.

I was also wondering if when you sign up for active duty if you can have any say in where you get stationed, because I now there is a base here in CO (Ft. Carson), but I also don't know if they only have certain MOS positions there and if so what they are. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am not an Army person, but if you decide to go Reserves, plan on being activated and going away...Might as well go active to begin with and get the proper training. Reserves suck...training, funding and about 25% of the people don't want to be there or are there just for the money. Leadership is usually pretty poor as it is only a once a month deal.

1) As stated above if you join the reserve or Guard there is just as good of a chance to be deployed. Funding for the Reserve/Guard is slim at times, they might not be able to send you for combatives training.

2) Active Duty: You might be able to request FT. Carson, CO as your first duty station. Never hurts to ask. I think you have a better shot at combatives in an active status.

For job descriptions go to www.goarmy.com

Not necessarily true these days tapoutrookie. Leadership is leadership, I have seen poor leadership in the AC and the RC. Training: you get the same IET and AIT training. Same with Officer training.

There are many positive benefits to the RC.

How do I know all this? I am an AGR T-10 Officer (NG) that happens to be serving as the S-3 Chief of Training at JMRC in Hohenfels Germany so I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about since I work with both sides of the house.

I put through several units a year through MRXs. There is some issues with levels of proficiency, due to the amount of training time afforded to RC units, but to be honest these are usually made up quickly during pre-deployment training.

I do agree though that you do need to consider the fact that you will deploy these days, so going into the RC is different than it was 10 years ago, and this fact needs to be considered.

BTW 25% of the people on the AC are just here for the money or don't want to be here either as well. If you have to use a figure, which probably is not accurate.

Thanks for the insight guys. Two more question, assuming I was deployed in the reserve would it be the same length of time as active would be and if so about how long does deployment usually last? Second when deployd somewhere do they offer any combative training over there or is it more just getting together with other interested guys and training on your own? Thanks again.

actually it is probably longer in a way. with mob time, deployment time, and remob...a 12 month deployment can be up to 18 months. It is one of the issues we are trying to fix in the RC.

In reality AC deployments are about the same length, but AC calls the mob time, Home station training and the remob, reintegration.

The difference is that in the AC you do all that at your Homestation,usually where your family is stationed with you, and not at a mob station away from your family at a place like Camp Atterbury, IN.

On the comabtives training, it depends on your deployment, probably your MOS to a degree, and your command.

When you say combatives training, I am assuming you mean level I and level II training. In a Mob'd status, probably not as you are there to perform a mission.

Doing combatives as a part of your training while deployed? I would hope so, is my answer.

Personally I think if your reasons for joining the army are for the combatives program, that is not a good reason to join. Find yourself a good MMA school and train on your own, you will get the same benefit if that is what you want to do. However, if you want to be a soldier, then that is a different issue.

Don't sweat the school house. If you really are serious about training, you can usually train on your own with others. I have never been to Benning, but completed level I with my Battalion Level III guy. He and I roll all the time together and I augment my training with other instructors in BJJ and the like. You can do this if you really want to. It depends on how bad you want it. I just make it happen.

I am hoping here in the next month or two to complete Level II training, and when I PCS to go PTDY to Benning in route to my next assignment for Level III.

My issue is I am a Major, and to be honest, while it is a personal goal of mine to be Level IV, it is not the best use of a Major's time and it is hard to convince your boss at the Pentagon to let you go to a school for four weeks.

Anyway, as a NG officer, they told me I'd never get to Ranger School, then they told me, I'd never get Airborne school, or that I'd ever be able to get on AC....

Well I completed Ranger, Airborne training, and I am now serving in an AC slot as a S3 officer on an AC post as a Active Guard Officer...so don't ever let them tell you NO. You just have to be patient and keep focused on your goals and keep trying.

Good luck.