Need Help With Cross Side?

I need some help with the CS. I have real good hip placement, people are unable to pull guard, buck me or even half but that is all I basically do is keep side control. Anybody have suggestions on how to work for some subs- feel like all I do is lay and pray. Need to beef up my game boys open for suggestions please?!?!

THX

My suggestion is to get off your knees. Learn to pin/control with you chest. Ride with your hips low wile staying on the balls of the feet. Learn to prevent guard with your hips and not your knee and hand. Thus your hands are free to attack.

There are other ways but thats what I do.

mbajj,

Do you find when you are off your knees that you are still capable of preventing them from pulling guard while simultaneously bearing down your weight on your opponent if you are grappling no-gi? Or are you purely talking about gi grappling?

Yes of course you can. one hand at the hip, other controls the head is a good starting point.

The key is to stay mobile. if they start looking to close guard, switch to modified scarfhold, or knee on belly, or N/S, switch sides, mount. If you are just pinning, eventually they will figure a way to reverse.

Ease up on the upperbody control without letting them get guard. People usually start to wiggle around underneath you and will often open up things for you.

Generally you will have to let up on the pin in order to look for some subs. I will only hold pin long enough to establish myself and then will ease up while I'm looking for things.

"I need some help with the CS. I have real good hip placement, people are unable to pull guard, buck me or even half but that is all I basically do is keep side control. Anybody have suggestions on how to work for some subs- feel like all I do is lay and pray. Need to beef up my game boys open for suggestions please?!?!"

I just had a private with Jeff Curran about this exact question. We worked on maintaining pressure while working different combos. He showed me a few ways to get the positions I wanted for the subs without shifting weight off the guy and some combos I could use that I had not been trying.

Here is a quick example: To clear his downside hand from under the armpit, I had been trying to roll my own arm backwards like a backstroke and get under his. While doing this, I would often turn on my side and shift my weight, which gave the guy a chance to get space. Jeff showed me how to wrap my downside hand under the guy's forearm and clear my armpit by pushing straight down with both hands on his far bicep. I hope this is clear.

A combo we worked was to get control of the near arm and stepover the head for an armbar. If he gets the elbow back down, spin around the far arm for the armbar.

Another uncommon attack was to bait the guy into getting the farside arm real deep into my downside armpit or when he grabs my tricep with the hand reaching through the downside armpit. This involved traping the arm against my side and pulling up to turn him on his side. Then taking the kimura grip across side as you take him back down with his arm traped in the starting kimura position.

We also worked a great trap on the far arm that turns into a shoulder lock with great leverage. This was a combo off a kimura attempt when the guy is able to resist or grab his own clothing. It is kind of hard to explain. We all call it the Camdem Shoulder Lock after Eddie Camden in Atlanta.