Need help with optics (Gun Guys) Please

Just order this in 308 win

Looking for a good long range scope for around 300 bucks, It will mainly be used for targets until I move back east.

ordered*

I put a Nikon Prostaff on mine. It's been a pretty solid optic so far, and the BDC is handy. Phone Post 3.0

What range will you be shooting at Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - What range will you be shooting at Phone Post 3.0

I wanna shoot far, maybe 500yrds and up.

Saltine I have the nikon 3-9x40 BDC on my rem 783, looking for a bit more.

Target shooting only? So just in daylight? If you don't worry about light gathering, that takes a big chuck of cash away Phone Post 3.0

I will probably hunt with it in the future.

Thats the reason I made this thread Trust, It seems people put smaller scopes in the front mount, confused me a bit.

GenErick -
MrFluffyHippo - What range will you be shooting at Phone Post 3.0

I wanna shoot far, maybe 500yrds and up.

Saltine I have the nikon 3-9x40 BDC on my rem 783, looking for a bit more.
I went with the 3.5-14x50 on mine. Once it's sighted in properly, they are very capable at 500yds. Phone Post 3.0

Leupold Scout scope Phone Post 3.0

Trust - 
GenErick - Thats the reason I made this thread Trust, It seems people put smaller scopes in the front mount, confused me a bit.
Ok, where the rail is on the gun in that pic is the scout position. A scope mounted there has to be a scout scope, which means it has "long eye relief," the distance between your eye and the rear lens. Handgun scopes can be used as scout scopes, but in general you won't get much more than 7x magnification from a scout scope. Weaver and Simmons make good handgun/scout scopes, and I think Leupold has one, too.

If you want more magnification you need a regular scope, which will be mounted over the action. If you want an excellent low cost scope, I'd recommend the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil scope. The FFP stands for front focal plane, which means the reticle changes proportion as you change magnification, which means you can use the ranging utility of the reticle at any magnification. With second focal plane scopes you can only use the reticle for ranging at max magnification. I have the Primary Arms scope on my .308 and I really like it. Costs around $230 as I recall.

Another option for a very rugged and high quality scope is the SSFW Super Sniper in 10x fixed. This costs about $300 and is as rugged and clear and durable as much more expensive variable magnification scopes. These were once used by the military and built to military specs for sniper rifles. I have one on my SPR AR-15. Phone Post 3.0

VU man, I guess I should of been more specific than just saying I wanna shoot far lol.

Over the years Ive shoot many of my friends scoped rifles, never really asked what was what. Thanks for the help.

In

Cant go wrong with a Leupold Rifleman scope. That being said, it wont work on your setup unless you can extend the rail back over the bolt OR get a Long Eye Relief scope.

oh and +1 for Primary Arms. Great company.

check out Jedburgh's (green beret OGer) thread on precision rifle/long range shooting. Great thread and he talks about optics.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&thread=2154149&page=1

TheSergeK - Cant go wrong with a Leupold Rifleman scope. That being said, it wont work on your setup unless you can extend the rail back over the bolt OR get a Long Eye Relief scope.

Thanks serge, It comes with scope rings also. Is the one you mentioned a picatinny mount style only?

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6803.html

swfa ss

A leupold 2.5 intermediate eye relief in a scout set-up. I have one on my M1A. I have taken several deer with it and have hit 20 inch steel gongs out to 600 yards. I use quick release rings so I can go to my iron sites quickly if needed. Phone Post 3.0

GenErick -

Just order this in 308 win

Looking for a good long range scope for around 300 bucks, It will mainly be used for targets until I move back east.

I have the Canadian version of that, it has an eighteen inch barrel. I have found it to be very accurate. Phone Post 3.0