Need help with running

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get back into running and was hoping to come here for some advice. At this point, my general level of fitness is pretty awful. I'm essentially starting from scratch after ~2 years of not exercising due to work and family commitments.

My goal is to be able to run 5 miles in 40 minutes. I've gone out to run the past two mornings and by about the 1.5 mile mark I'm completely gassed. Shameful, I know, but that's why I'm posting.

So I guess my question is, how should I train in order to reach this goal? I have a good pair of running shoes but no heartrate monitor or anything like that. I don't expect anyone to give me a step-by-step routine or anything, but I would appreciate a general outline of how I should approach this.

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm guessing you're pretty small. 1.5 miles is decent for someone that hasn't been doing any cardio

In any case, get a heart rate monitor, keep tour heart rate at 130 - 150 and progressively increase the length you run and then the speed. Do that 3 - 6 days a week

I wrote this - http://breakingmuscle.com/endurance-sports/2-rules-beginning-barefoot-running-and-avoiding-injury - about starting barefoot running. While that's not your case, the break in plan suffices exactly the same. Run/ walk is the best way to build distance safely. The walk breaks refresh you enough so that you minimise the risk of injury, and you gradually add run time until you're at your goal.

The other thing, that I find many do to start with, is try to run too fast. Breathe only through your nose, both inhalation and exhalation, this will force you to slow down and you'll likely find that you can run further, because you're not exhausting yourself. Most people have a massively under powered aerobic system and building it up takes some time. The key to a powerful aerobic system is long and steady.

Who knew bull neck was Andrew read? Not me.

Building cardio is not about just going out and running as hard as you can till you gas.

Run at your all day pace most days, up the mileage slowly.

Once a week do a harder run where you're doing doing hills, or pushing a higher pace for 5 minutes, back to normal for 5, etc..

Over time if you're putting in those runs at your all day pace you'll find that pace becomes faster.

As others have suggested, run at a pace where you're not out of breath.

LOL Doug - I don't post much. I read a lot but don't post often. I'm try to get Scrapper to write some bw stuff for BM too, but I'm not sure where that is up to.

And since I stopped BJJ my neck has shrunk considerably. Sad.

Something i've been doing lately is simply un-complicating my training. Reading a book on the Lydiard training system just brought back to me how simple some things can actually be.

So my running at the moment is simple. I go out my door and run for X minutes (10, 15, 30, whatever you can do comfortably) at a pace where i'm not out of breath, and the turn around and run back. It even saves the hassle of having to get a map and plan my route, i just run wherever i feel like. As long as i get the time in it doesn't matter.

If your goal is to run 5 miles in 40 minutes start by going out and running for 40 minutes. Don't worry about the distance just yet. At first you might need to run/walk, but if you keep training you will be able to run the entire time. Train at a slow easy pace. Running 5 miles also requires you to build muscle as well as cardio so go slow and gradually build up so you don't injure yourself. Phone Post 3.0

bull neck - LOL Doug - I don't post much. I read a lot but don't post often. I'm try to get Scrapper to write some bw stuff for BM too, but I'm not sure where that is up to.

And since I stopped BJJ my neck has shrunk considerably. Sad.

I recognized your screen name though.

And good luck getting that neanderthal to write something. Does he even know how to read?

The couch to 5k app is pretty good. Start with that and progress to the 10k . Phone Post