Need paint + clear coat advice.

Been trying to paint a surfboard and I need to put a clear coat to seal it for another layer of epoxy.

I been painting with rustoleum ultra cover 2x and trying to clear coat it with rustoleum automotive enamel.

The problem is that when I spray on the clear it's causing the paint to wrinkle underneath. Is this a paint compatibility issue? or am I not cleaning the surface under the paint well enough? Paint not dry enough? Phone Post 3.0

If the paint is acrylic, just about any other paint (enamel, lacquer based) will eat right through it. Phone Post 3.0

It could be a combination of a lot of things. Too many coats of paint, not enough dry time on the base coat, their could be a compatibility issue. Give me a detailed explanation of your process and I'll get you your answer. Phone Post 3.0

Also, you may want to try to use better quality products if you are putting a lot of time into something that you want to last. Phone Post 3.0

If it's dry its not the paint underneath that's wrinkling, but the clear coat is making it look that way. Put on a couple coats of clean, then wet sand with some 1500 and 2000 grit (and higher bc why not). Then use a polishing compounds and hand rub that bitch out. Phone Post 3.0

I sanded the bottom coat of epoxy that was going to be painted. Then I cleaned it of with soapy water and let it dry (didn't have alcohol). Then I painted two coats about an hour apart. I let the paint dry for about 3 days, 2 of which have been in a 75° room. I just started spraying to clear an it's wrinkling in a few places.

I'm not really worried about the paint lasting on its own because there is going to be epoxy over it that will protect it. I just don't want the epoxy to delaminate because the paint isn't sticking. Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - If it's dry its not the paint underneath that's wrinkling, but the clear coat is making it look that way. Put on a couple coats of clean, then wet sand with some 1500 and 2000 grit (and higher bc why not). Then use a polishing compounds and hand rub that bitch out. Phone Post 3.0
I'm pretty sure it's the paint wrinkling too. I sanded some spots to level the high spots on the wrinkle and it showed through to the bottom epoxy not just the paint underneath. Phone Post 3.0

jewrad - Also, you may want to try to use better quality products if you are putting a lot of time into something that you want to last. Phone Post 3.0
What better products would you recommend incase I have to paint this thing again. Phone Post 3.0

Modellers paint.

Tamiya, Model Masters, Testors.

Any of those are better quality than Rustoleum. Phone Post 3.0

I would go with automotive refinish products. Depending on what you are doing with it would dictate the quality of product. Is it an art piece or something you're going to use? Phone Post 3.0

Something I'm going to use. Planning on painting g and sealing with clear coat then epoxy over the top to protect then in the water. Phone Post 3.0

Had the same problem for something else. The clear coat spray wrecked the paint. I tried brush on clear coat and it still did the same. Don't have a solution. Maybe has something to do with being oil based Phone Post 3.0