need some MTN bike GEAR reccos

Made a thread a while  ago and picked up a little hard tail which Ive been riding the shit out of lately.  I need a bunch of stuff and know jack shit about any of it so the OG is my go to.

This is my bike

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-fathom-29-2018

Need reccos for.

Pedals - clipless

Seat/saddle

Shoes? I just use some salomon trail running shoes

Pads?  I want to start going on some of the bigger single tracks at the ski resort this spring.  Do i need shin guards or anything else?

Helmey - I have a regular giro helhel and an old skateboarding one i switch btw, do I need a motocross helhel for the single track?

ttt

![](upload://oVEEraFsywKCFfIRxvqgTwFs0gO.png)

I have a Kona Hei Hei 29’er and have been looking to upgrade certain parts.  For the seat I bought a $20 gel deal with the dick bone slot - makes a world of difference.

I still have the old school setup of 3 front gears to 8 rear gear...might change it to one front gear via Raceface.

Nice bike brosephine.

1 Like

I have time atac pedals. I had some crank brothers as shown above and I smashed the shit out of them in no time. The metal rings bent after a couple months.  I’ve run my time pedals for years without issues. 

saddles are very specific to your ass and taint. Some shops have a trial program and you can try different ones.   Or send me pics of your taint and I’ll tell you what to ride :) 

For shoes on flat pedals try 5.10 or vans (they have durable stiff sole shoes for biking). For clipless fit is everything. I run shimano shoes because they fit well. 

If you’re downhilling, I recommend a full face helmet and pads. It’s also going to be rough on a hardtail. Either plan to demo a full suspension or never ever ride one as that’s all you’ll want afterwards. 

2 Likes

Seat saddle is very personal you need to figure out your sit nine width. 

I like knee pads I can strap to my handle bars and pedal up. But I pedal up 4K feet in a few hours then it’s all downhill. 

2 Likes
clattymine -

I have time atac pedals. I had some crank brothers as shown above and I smashed the shit out of them in no time. The metal rings bent after a couple months.  I’ve run my time pedals for years without issues. 

saddles are very specific to your ass and taint. Some shops have a trial program and you can try different ones.   Or send me pics of your taint and I’ll tell you what to ride :) 

For shoes on flat pedals try 5.10 or vans (they have durable stiff sole shoes for biking). For clipless fit is everything. I run shimano shoes because they fit well. 

If you’re downhilling, I recommend a full face helmet and pads. It’s also going to be rough on a hardtail. Either plan to demo a full suspension or never ever ride one as that’s all you’ll want afterwards. 

thanks!

my friend just told me the same about needing a full suspension for the downhill tracks at the ski place

i guess "singletrack" is diff from "downhill"?

or is it one of those things where every downhill is a single track, but not every single track is downhill?

Stu Cazzo - 

I have a Kona Hei Hei 29’er and have been looking to upgrade certain parts.  For the seat I bought a $20 gel deal with the dick bone slot - makes a world of difference.

I still have the old school setup of 3 front gears to 8 rear gear...might change it to one front gear via Raceface.

Nice bike brosephine.

…you got a bone in yo dick, bruh?

1 Like
Soul Gravy -
Stu Cazzo - 

Nice bike brosephine.

…you got a bone in yo dick, bruh?

The one between the shaft/nuts/nutsac and my hairy asshole area.

I think that’s a tendon, dude. I’m not a doctor, but you better let me inspect you to be certain.

In Limbo -
clattymine -

thanks!

my friend just told me the same about needing a full suspension for the downhill tracks at the ski place

or is it one of those things where every downhill is a single track, but not every single track is downhill?

yes, and if you're going to do downhill at a resort, rent a bike.  the stuff you need to navigate resort trails isn't cheap.  everytime i've done it i paid about $100 and rented a $4k bike.  you will tear the shit out of a hard tail.

i also highly recommend it.  it is a ton of fun and exhausting.  i was surprised at how tired i was after just 3 or 4 runs.  you're not pedaling much, but you're entire body is working including your brain.

In Limbo -
clattymine -

thanks!

Single track is just trails, or cross country. Like you pedal uphill and down. 

Downhill is lift assisted riding like at a ski resort. 

EFM -
In Limbo -
clattymine -

thanks!

yes, and if you're going to do downhill at a resort, rent a bike.  the stuff you need to navigate resort trails isn't cheap.  everytime i've done it i paid about $100 and rented a $4k bike.  you will tear the shit out of a hard tail.

i also highly recommend it.  it is a ton of fun and exhausting.  i was surprised at how tired i was after just 3 or 4 runs.  you're not pedaling much, but you're entire body is working including your brain.

now I know , ill be renting a bike

ill be going to Mountain Creek, the old Action Park , here in NJ

I’m 6’1-6’2, if I buy a mountain bike with a 23" frame will I hate riding it because it’s too big? Bike is an old Giant Rainier on 26" wheels.