Need to be 2 stripe bb to promote blackbelt

What do you guys think of this rule by the IBJJF?

I know people don't like the IBJJF governing how quickly they can promote someone.

However, I think it's a pretty good idea to have some sort of time difference- it prevents the various cases where someone becomes a black belt and then follows up by promoting a handful of other people to black belts.

Carlos Gracie Jr. is da debil.

lol, its subjective and in the end, kinda idiotic. Every school/lineage has its own guidelines, so it really does NOT matter. For instance, Dave Camarillo promoted people to black before he got his 2nd degree and I would think that HE would be able to evaluate who is good enough to get a black belt under him or not (same as Terrere as well IIRC, to name a few). If guys want to go by this, then fine. But people in Brazil don't even follow this, as some have been black belts for years for instance and have no official degrees but produce killers and have promoted them and their ranks are never questioned. Its all about cash for the IBJJF, I can see the rule being a good thing but heck that rule has been changed numerous times anyways so its a moot point.

I agree 100% with Hunter V

heck, we even have differences in how degrees are given out! Depending on your lineage, when you get a black belt you may or may not be a 1st degree for instance. Lets take Roy Dean for instance. He just got his 2nd degree (which is totally awesome and well deserved). But when he got his black belt he was automatically a 1st degree black belt. Cross examine that w Bolo on this forum, who is a 2nd degree black belt and been training longer then Roy Dean. Difference is that Michael is on the modified system of the IBJJF as that is what Joe Moriera is going by nowadays whereas Roy Harris goes by the traditional route that Joe raised him in (and thereby ranks Roy Dean in that manner). Neither is wrong mind you, its just how instructors want to go about doing things (and the guys are from the same lineage!)

Lets look at Royce Gracie as well. He goes by the old school method of guys get their black belts w white bars, wait a few years and then get the red patch in which case they are professors and THEN they can rank guys to black belt. Rob Kahn, one of Royce's first 5 black belts, got his first degree this year and one of the newest guys he ranked to black belt (long overdue) was Brian McLaughlin. You think Brian is somehow undeserving of his rank (check his competitive record if you don't know who he is and get back to me). All of Royce's first 5 guys are professors w first degrees now whereas based on time in other schools they would be at least 2nd if not borderline third degrees. Thats their lineage and they are sticking to it. Are they going to somehow go by what the IBJJF wants vs what their mentor/instructor wants instead? Nope.

And heck even in lineage schools we get differences. Leo Viera is adamant about being a THIRD degree black belt before handing out rank. Now he gave the black belt IIRC to fellow Brasa teammate Robert Drysdale. Robert is a 2nd degree and has promoted guys to black belt already, although his lineage says he should have still waited.

Point is, we got different schema everywhere and this art, above any other, is one where I doubt we will EVER see any type of codified method that we will follow. Heck we can't even get a good timeline on rank, as Ryron and Rener for instance are 5th and 4th degree black belts and got their degrees from Helio. According to IBJJF standards, they are vastly over ranked. But would anyone question the value of HELIO on this one? lol

I've seen people get promoted to black belt by people who had been black belts for less than a year. If they do the same, you have 3 generations of black belt lineage in just a couple of years. That I don't think is right.

I think the rule "You may promote up to one rank below yours" is overall the fairest and makes most sense.

That's pretty much how it works in Judo.

<blockquote>AZ-Grappler - I think the rule "You may promote up to one rank below yours" is overall the fairest and makes most sense.<br /><br />That's pretty much how it works in Judo.</blockquote><br /><br />Are you saying a purple can promote up a whitebelt to blue? I would not agree with that.<br />

I would be ok with that if there are no other options, a purple should know what a new blue belt looks and feels like.

But don't forget, if you don't renew your IBJJF I.D. card then you are not eligible for you rank..... LoL Phone Post

Ive talk with Joe on this a couple of times, you need to be 3rd degree to promote to black belt, 3 years later 1st degree, another 3 years, 2nd degree, another 3 years 3 rd degreee, then every 6 years you get another stripe. I know Relson is the same way.

do instructor stripes count or do you need 4 on your belt

AZ-Grappler - pretty much how it works in Judo.
What?! Judoka are not promoted like BJJ on an individual instructor's whim.  In judo you must go before a regional examination and demonstrate your knowledge to members of a committee (Typically the highest ranked black belts in your region) It's a very formal and rigorous (oh those Japanese) process but it also has clear and concise standards that everyone knows for each rank.

Even with the lower ranks in Judo points have to be earned and there are also time in grade considerations for Judo.

Also in Judo I am pretty sure you must be at least Shodan to promote to any rank period. For the higher Dan ranks you need to be a Senior Rank Examiner or Master Rank Examiner.

I would suppose a Purple could hand out a Blue Belt in a BJJ school if he was the head instructor at his school.

The only way a Purple should be promoting anyone is with the blessing and authorization of his Black Belt instructor.

There needs to be some standard, but the IBJJF shouldn't have a monopoly to determine the standards. There needs to be a system in place that is fair to everyone. In Brazil they just do whatever they want, but the IBJJF doesn't really care, there's no money to be made there. In the US and EU the IBJJF is controlling ranks and making insane amount of money to legitimize "their" ranking standards. There needs to be a balance.

Hunter V - lol, its subjective and in the end, kinda idiotic. Every school/lineage has its own guidelines, so it really does NOT matter. For instance, Dave Camarillo promoted people to black before he got his 2nd degree and I would think that HE would be able to evaluate who is good enough to get a black belt under him or not (same as Terrere as well IIRC, to name a few). If guys want to go by this, then fine. But people in Brazil don't even follow this, as some have been black belts for years for instance and have no official degrees but produce killers and have promoted them and their ranks are never questioned. Its all about cash for the IBJJF, I can see the rule being a good thing but heck that rule has been changed numerous times anyways so its a moot point.

I completely agree with your point. But to say that it's about money, is false! I'm in that boat right now. I've been a BB for approximately 3 years. In order to compete i have to have an instructor who is a 2nd degree bb sign off on my membership with the ibjjf. The application fee is only $30! If it was about the money, wouldn't it cost more and have less steps in the process? Make it easier for people to give them money? Making it easier for instructors to give out bb's would make them more money in so many other ways than what they are doing now. Plus by doing this, there are less Black Belts that can compete in IBJJF tournaments which equates to less money. This is just a way for the ibjjf to legitimize belts and create one large umbrella organization in order to, again legitimize the athletes, the organization, and the sport under one set of laws and rules. This give them more firepower and a better argument of why BJJ should be in the Olympics which is the eventual goal and the reasons for doing what they are doing. They're trying to follow Judo's footsteps. If they are to get BJJ in the olympics, this is what they have to do. Just like Judo, they need to be registered, gi color and length specific, and all under one organization.

JPJiuJitsu - 
Hunter V - lol, its subjective and in the end, kinda idiotic. Every school/lineage has its own guidelines, so it really does NOT matter. For instance, Dave Camarillo promoted people to black before he got his 2nd degree and I would think that HE would be able to evaluate who is good enough to get a black belt under him or not (same as Terrere as well IIRC, to name a few). If guys want to go by this, then fine. But people in Brazil don't even follow this, as some have been black belts for years for instance and have no official degrees but produce killers and have promoted them and their ranks are never questioned. Its all about cash for the IBJJF, I can see the rule being a good thing but heck that rule has been changed numerous times anyways so its a moot point.

I completely agree with your point. But to say that it's about money, is false! I'm in that boat right now. I've been a BB for approximately 3 years. In order to compete i have to have an instructor who is a 2nd degree bb sign off on my membership with the ibjjf. The application fee is only $30! If it was about the money, wouldn't it cost more and have less steps in the process? Make it easier for people to give them money? Making it easier for instructors to give out bb's would make them more money in so many other ways than what they are doing now. Plus by doing this, there are less Black Belts that can compete in IBJJF tournaments which equates to less money. This is just a way for the ibjjf to legitimize belts and create one large umbrella organization in order to, again legitimize the athletes, the organization, and the sport under one set of laws and rules. This give them more firepower and a better argument of why BJJ should be in the Olympics which is the eventual goal and the reasons for doing what they are doing. They're trying to follow Judo's footsteps. If they are to get BJJ in the olympics, this is what they have to do. Just like Judo, they need to be registered, gi color and length specific, and all under one organization.

IIRC, your ranking instructor(2nd degree and above) need a diploma from IBJJF. That's $400.

They are trying to follow Judo's footsteps? Did Kano charge 400$ for registration too?

Wutang - 
JPJiuJitsu - 

IIRC, your ranking instructor(2nd degree and above) need a diploma from IBJJF. That's $400.

That's if you want the diploma. Even then, that's not a ton of people out there to declare it a monopoly or a money making scheme. I agree it's a lot of money. However if you really want it, then you'd pay it. Which obviously not to many people would considering this post. So, again, not too much there! If they wanted to make the money, they would charge less to get more people in and then those people would get more people in to pay. That's the money making type of business! The McDojo! You don't need any of that for general membership. Check the list of BB's. There's no where near the amount of BB's listed on the site to even cover half of Cali! There's a ton of Gracie Barra BB's that aren't even on the list.