NEIL MELANSON Blackzilians Head Grappling Coach

The popular Blackzilians team in Florida is the latest to acquire Melanson’s services.

The hulking grappling expert has just signed on to be the Blackzilians’ MMA and head grappling coach, leaving behind a lengthy stay in San Diego with Alliance MMA. After several weeks of ironing out the details of his new contract with the Blackzilians, Melanson has made the move official and will take over the grappling portion of the team immediately.

“I’ll be their head grappling coach,” Melanson told Sherdog.com this week. “Jorge Santiago is their head coach, and he wanted a grappling coach to come in. They wanted a different look at things and they wanted to bring in someone who would bring in an MMA-style grappling element to their team. They have a lot of talent down there; it’s a gene pool. They have a lot of big guys and big-guy grappling is different from little-guy grappling... I’m a big guy, so I’m excited about it.”

Melanson, who has helped such luminaries as Randy Couture, Vitor Belfort, Michael Chandler and Dominick Cruz over the years, said the idea to come to the Blackzilians mostly stemmed from when he was called in to help Anthony Johnson prepare for his UFC light heavyweight title shot against Daniel Cormier. But the submission wizard didn’t have enough time with “Rumble” and, he says, it showed in Johnson’s performance at UFC 187 in May.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Neil-Melanson-Joins-Blackzilians-as-MMA-Grappling-Coach-89527

ttt

Oh man, just as the blackzillians were getting good they pull a crazy stunt like this.

Massive Phone Post 3.0

Where Monday go since leaving? Phone Post 3.0

I think Monday is at team takedown with Hendricks? Could be wrong though

Neil will be a great addition. Sucks for alliance to lose him Phone Post 3.0

is this like his 6th camp and their 14th coach?

90 days, imo...

They stole my coach. Mutha fuckerrrrs :( Phone Post 3.0

I am a big hater of the team b/c of their John du Pont owner, but hard to criticize them for trying to improve their grappling. It was in desperate need of an upgrade after Rumble and Vitor were somewhat exposed in their title shots. Phone Post 3.0

fight4right - I am a big hater of the team b/c of their John du Pont owner, but hard to criticize them for trying to improve their grappling. It was in desperate need of an upgrade after Rumble and Vitor were somewhat exposed in their title shots. Phone Post 3.0
Rumble and Vitor weren't going to win, anyway...DC and CW are a cut above... Phone Post 3.0

They go through coaches like crazy. Roberto flamingo said they are not a family or even feels like friends. Just people who show up to do a job and that's it.

For flamingo to say it was his worst experience as a coach should say something about that team Phone Post 3.0

Neal is awesome and one of the best! Phone Post 3.0

man meets fate - They go through coaches like crazy. Roberto flamingo said they are not a family or even feels like friends. Just people who show up to do a job and that's it.

For flamingo to say it was his worst experience as a coach should say something about that team Phone Post 3.0
Wow I didn't know he said that Phone Post 3.0

RowdyBec - They stole my coach. Mutha fuckerrrrs :( Phone Post 3.0
Who will replace him? Phone Post 3.0

UGCTT_mrthesnake - I think Monday is at team takedown with Hendricks? Could be wrong though

Neil will be a great addition. Sucks for alliance to lose him Phone Post 3.0
This is correct. I love Coach Monday guys, he has been my coach since high school. Phone Post 3.0

What's the story with this guy? He is proven has he competed in ADCC or anything? I get that he has non traditional mma catch blah blah blah skills. I only know him from the xtreme days. Phone Post 3.0

Who's Gene and where is his pool? Phone Post 3.0

JoeMimic -
Lurker! :-P Phone Post 3.0
Always lurking :) Phone Post 3.0

Why not follow him?

Im sure theyd welcome you at blackzillians Phone Post 3.0

Toquinho -
Why not follow him?

Im sure theyd welcome you at blackzillians Phone Post 3.0
BZ has zero pro female fighters. Not a good place for a woman to train mma IMHO. Phone Post 3.0