NEON DEION IS BACK !!!!!!!!!!

Hell Yeah, it may be early but my boy Prime Time says he wants to come back and play nickel but only for the Ravens. Geeh thats a big surprise, come to the team with the best D of all time and also a huge chance of winning the SB again. Deion's smart but can he still play? I hope, cause I miss the guy.

There are SEVERAL errors in your post...

1 - "come to the team with the best D of all time".

2 - "huge chance of winning the SB again".

3 - "Deion's smart"

Didn't the Pats allow the least amount of points against last year? I never got why they go by yardage and not points allowed. Makes no sense to me. The best D should be the one who's scored on the least.

Anyway, Deion would be fun to watch. I wonder if he'd still have it.

"Geeh thats a big surprise, come to the team with the best D of all time "

He's not going to the Steelers!

Geeh thats a big surprise, come to the team with the best D of all time

Deion's signing with the '85 Bears? Odd.

Steve72 has spoken the correct, once again.

Deion ended his career as a mediocre player on a mediocre team. I don't see how he could make an impact now.

I'd like to see it, just so I could watch him play the Steelers twice. Hines Ward happens to be the best downfield blocker among WR in the game today. I'm sure I'd get a kick out of seeing him put Past My Prime Time on his ass a half dozen times.

he hangs out with ray lewis, and lewis talked him out of retirement. deidioton know ray will make all the tackles so all he will have to do is run and try to knock balls away. any fast guy can do that. might as well get darrel green to come out of retirement and get someone who can really play, at least he is physical and can tackle.

KneeUppercut, There will always be haters lol. Haters dont bother me. But ill be here at the end of the season. I guaranteee the haters will be long gone.

I don't see anyone being a "hater" on this thread. Ststing that the Ravens don't have the "best defense of all time" is hardly being a hater.

They do have a great, and intimidating, defense...but all time best? That's a bit of an overblown statement, don't you think?

From ESPN columinst Eddie Epstein...

Ray Lewis was the leader of Baltimore's punishing defense.

However, when it comes to evaluating the claim as to whether or not the 2000 Ravens have the best defense of all time, I'm going to let the numbers do the talking. And some of the numbers are not going to be too familiar to many of you.

The statistical concept of standard deviation measures how much a team dominated its contemporaries with little or no temporal bias. In the book Baseball Dynasties, we found that the best baseball teams of 1995 are as many standard deviations from the league average in runs scored and runs allowed as the best teams of 1905 or 1955. The same is true in football.

Before the Ravens won the Super Bowl, much was said that their defense could not be considered as being among the best in history unless they won the Super Bowl. So, we looked at Super Bowl winning teams beginning in 1978, when the 16-game schedule was introduced and rules were changed to open up the passing game (in baseball, the rules have remained remarkably consistent. Football has been relatively constant since 1978). And we excluded the strike years of 1982 and '87.

That said, the two defenses that stand out are the 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens. Here is a chart comparing those two teams in basic categories and showing their rank among all 602 team seasons from 1978 to 2000:

'85 Bears vs. 00' Ravens

Team Points
Allowed Yards
Allowed Yards Allowed
Per Rush Opponents
Passer Rating

1985 Bears 198, 5th 4135, 17th 3.67, 145th 51.2, 5th

2000 Ravens 165, 1st 3967, 8th 2.69, 1st 62.5, 52nd

The Ravens outrank the Bears in three of these four categories, although in points allowed and yards allowed, the teams are relatively close. Exploring Standard Deviation

Here is a brief explanation of standard deviation and how it applies to football.

Standard deviation is used to measure the dispersion, or difference, in a set of numbers. In other words, it is a measure of how much the numbers differ from each other calculated using the "average" difference of each number from the mean of the group.

Here's an example that might help. Applying this concept to measuring how much a team "dominated" its contemporaries is easy. Let's look at points scored and points allowed for the 2000 Rams. The Rams scored 540 points and allowed 471. The league mean for both (a point scored for one team is a point allowed for the other) was about 330.8. The standard deviation for points scored in 2000 was 82.3, which means:(540-330.8)/82.3 = 2.54; the Rams were 2.54 standard deviations better than the league average in points scored.

For their points allowed total, we do the math "backwards" because more points allowed is worse. The standard deviation for points allowed in 2000 was 73.5:(330.8-471)/73.5 = -1.91; the Rams were 1.91 standard deviations worse than the league average in points allowed

The '85 Bears and the '00 Ravens are two of just six teams that allowed fewer than 200 points in a 16-game schedule; the Ravens are one of only eight teams to allow fewer than 4,000 yards. The Bears were better at defending the pass than the Ravens while the Ravens were better against the run.

Here's where standard deviation enters the equation. Standard deviation simply measures the spread in a set of numbers. The more closely a set of numbers is bunched together, the smaller the standard deviation. As pro sports leagues have matured, the standard deviation in performance among players and teams has gotten smaller. That fact means that simply comparing performance to the league average in a given season might be misleading. But using standard deviation allows you to accurately compare teams across seasons.

Look at this first:

Standard Deviations

Std. Dev. from League Avg.
in Points Allowed Std. Dev. from League Avg.
in Yards Allowed

1985 Bears +2.33, 3rd +2.02, 15th

2000 Ravens +2.25, 5th +2.08, 12th

Using standard deviations, these two teams are almost identical. How identical? In the book Baseball Dynasties, we simply added the two standard deviation scores (runs scored and runs allowed) to get a team's total score. If you add the points allowed and yards allowed standard deviation scores to get an overall defense score, this is what you get (overall ranking is listed second):

Overall Defense

Overall
Defense Score, Rank

1985 Bears +4.35, 3rd

2000 Ravens +4.34, 4th

Note: All of these scores are not rounded to two decimal places until the very end.)

It can't get much closer than that. The 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens are two of only three teams since 1978 to be at least two standard deviations better than the league mean in both points allowed and yards allowed in the same season. The third team? The 1986 Bears.

Based on all of this, I have to call it a draw between the 1985 Bears and the 2000 Ravens for the title of the best defense.

It's not close as to which team made me happier.

"They do have a great, and intimidating, defense...but all time best? That's a bit of an overblown statement, don't you think"

No, I dont think so, and neither do any football experts. If you dont remember the heated argument after the Ravens won the SB whether their D was best of all time or the Bears then you are not a football fan or a liar. It is still disbuted which one was the greatest of all time. So while I cannot say its a fact the Ravens had the best D of all time I can say its a valid opinion agreed on by many people, from fans to experts.

Id like to also add that the Ravens 2000 D won the Super Bowl on strentgh of their defense alone. No other defense can make that same claim. The top three of all time in my opion are the 76 Steelers, 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens. It will always be argued which was the greatest of all time.

Also if I might add...The Ravens had four shutouts during the season and allowed just 165 points, a record for a 16-game season.

"Id like to also add that the Ravens 2000 D won the Super Bowl on strentgh of their defense alone. No other defense can make that same claim."

The Buccaneers were hardly an offensive juggernaut two years ago.

No, I dont think so, and neither do any football experts.

Again, you take a reasonable argument and blow it WAAAAYYYYYY out of proportion. "any" football experts? You couldn't get all football experts to agree on how many stitches are on a regulation football, let alone who has the best defense of all time.

If you dont remember the heated argument after the Ravens won the SB whether their D was best of all time or the Bears then you are not a football fan or a liar.

Oh, I remember it. In fact, I read the article you cited above. I disagree with its conclusion.

It is still disbuted which one was the greatest of all time. So while I cannot say its a fact the Ravens had the best D of all time I can say its a valid opinion agreed on by many people, from fans to experts.

This is exactly my point. Calling someone who disagrees with your opinion on an admittidly disputable issue a "hater" is just flat out silly. I am not a Bears fan. Never have been, never will be. If I had to choose, I'd say that I like the Ravens more than the Bears because they're in the AFC and I cheer for a different NFC team (Eagles). I still think that the '85 Bears had a better defense. Does that make me a "hater"?

Not to mention, the article is talking about the 2000 Ravens. If I'm correct, Deion would be joining the 2004 Ravens.

Another tidbit - the 1986 Bears defense actually yielded LESS points than the '85 defense did (187 in '86, 198 in '85). The Ravens broke the record in 2000 for least points allowed, but have never been 1st or under 200 points allowed again.

In '99 through '01 the Ravens were 6th, 1st, & 4th in points allowed.

In '83 through '88 the Bears were 5th, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 4th, & 1st in points allowed.

Steve72, first of I wasnt the first one to call anyone a hater. Someone else noticed the posts on here and believed it to be true. Also claiming it was an "overblown statement" was ridiculous as many people still argue the Ravens as the greatest D of all time. So to say my statement is overblown and yours is just would actually be being a hater. So what was flat out silly as you put it was saying my comment was overblown because it was different than yours.

So to end this usless argument which you started to be funny asking if Deion was playing for the 85 Bears which I believe is impossible. Lets end it. Ill be here at post season and If the Ravens arent there Ill eat crow on this forum. Deal?

Its over

So to end this usless argument which you started to be funny asking if Deion was playing for the 85 Bears which I believe is impossible. Lets end it. Ill be here at post season and If the Ravens arent there Ill eat crow on this forum. Deal?

Works for me. I do, however, expect some trash talk come Halloween.