nephew has a bacterial infection

was in Costa Rica last week, now in the hospital in Orange County CA. He was with his family so I doubt he was with any hookers. He's in his early 20's. Wife and her sister are really freaking out.

Prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Thoughts out.. Phone Post 3.0

Wow that sucks. Keep us posted on how it goes. Phone Post 3.0

Barnicale Bill - Wow that sucks. Keep us posted on how it goes. Phone Post 3.0

Will do. From what I've heard he went to the ER yesterday with some bad headaches and flu like symptoms. He told them he was in Costa Rica last week so they ran several blood tests. Then they sent him home.

Today they called him and told him to come back in, told him he had some type blood infection.

Sorry to hear bro, well wishes being sent Phone Post 3.0

update,

they're going to do an MRI on his back and neck because he's in so much pain they're afraid the infection has spread to his bones.

Also waiting on "cultures"

thanks for all the well wishes so far

Good luck man

Hospitals in OC are good hospitals, which one is he at?

Hoping for the best

Never_rolled - Did he go swimming in a lake or river?

I haven't heard one way or the other from my sister in law on that. I assume so. I'm trying to limit my questions since I know everyone out there with him is freaking out right now.

Hoping for the best Phone Post 3.0

Not to worry ya but it sounds like the physicians suspect meningitis. It's very dangerous if not treated in an appropriate timely fashion but it sounds like your nephew sought help quick so hopefully if that's the case, he can get on the right antibiotics asap. Has he had a spinal tap?

I lost a cousin to meningitis. It can come from unsanitary areas from things such as dirty water (mentioned before), bird droppings, and other things you suspect in third world countries Phone Post 3.0

LBH_RN - Not to worry ya but it sounds like the physicians suspect meningitis. It's very dangerous if not treated in an appropriate timely fashion but it sounds like your nephew sought help quick so hopefully if that's the case, he can get on the right antibiotics asap. Has he had a spinal tap?

I lost a cousin to meningitis. It can come from unsanitary areas from things such as dirty water (mentioned before), bird droppings, and other things you suspect in third world countries Phone Post 3.0

from what I've just been told meningitis has been ruled out. That was the first thing they test for after he said he was in Costa Rica recently.

yes they did a spinal tap yesterday at the hospital.

Good luck to him.

LBH_RN - Not to worry ya but it sounds like the physicians suspect meningitis. It's very dangerous if not treated in an appropriate timely fashion but it sounds like your nephew sought help quick so hopefully if that's the case, he can get on the right antibiotics asap. Has he had a spinal tap?

So sorry about your cousin, thanks for you input.

Well wishes being sent to your family. Keep us updated please.

Hopefully they tested for dengue and the other mosquito borne problems first.

Good that he sought treatment quickly tropical things grow quickly.

cruedi -

So sorry about your cousin, thanks for you input.
Thanks man, prayers for your nephew. Keep us posted Phone Post 3.0

Thanks to all

It's looking like Typhoid Fever now, there still waiting for some more cultures, but he's on antibiotics for that now.

my 2nd cousins uncle lost his leg the other day, please ask god for his toes back.

cruedi - Thanks to all

It's looking like Typhoid Fever now, there still waiting for some more cultures, but he's on antibiotics for that now.

My GF had that back in the day after a trip to the Philippines

She's fine now, FWIW