Nerd Question Of The Day - If Cable...

...faced Green Lantern (Hal) in single combat, who would emerge victorious?

^
And if you happen to give a fuck, please click on the above banner or on this link for a complete breakdown of Powers & Abilities for the combatants!  ;)

If you're not already a member, we would LOVE to have you on the NQOTD Forums! But if you just want to lurk as a guest, you're more than welcome to do that too!

Please follow us on FB and Twitter so that we can help NQOTD grow!

https://www.facebook.com/NerdQuestionOfTheDay

https://twitter.com/NQOTDofficial

Cable, by being much stronger mentally and more ruthless in general.

Which version of cable? Phone Post 3.0

Green Lantern is magnitudes of levels more powerful then cable.

You would have to do like the lamest version of Green Lantern vs the most psychicly powerful version to even make it sort of fair.

I like cable more, but there is no real way for him to win except PIS.

zackthewop - Which version of cable? Phone Post 3.0

The version that was 100% in control of his psi powers that fought Silver Surfer to a standstill was the version I was thinking of.

How formidable is GL's psi defense?

paw - 
zackthewop - Which version of cable? Phone Post 3.0

The version that was 100% in control of his psi powers that fought Silver Surfer to a standstill was the version I was thinking of.

How formidable is GL's psi defense?

So that was peak cable.

Peak Green lantern can like slap around entire planets and shit.

as someone pointed out in a prior nqoftd, d.c. has underpowered psionics and magic compared to marvel. so if cable can fight surfer to a standstill, i'd say cable.

GL Phone Post 3.0

Hal Jordan as far as I know has zero defense against telepaths. Even less than peak cable should no problem completely crushing Hal Psychically making his powers useless.

Cable by finding that corner of Hal's mind that holds his Will and shuts it off permanently Phone Post

Green lantern does not sweat martian manhunters psychic abilities.

Cable by brutality and mind-Fuck. Phone Post

Very, very hard to go against Jeebus Cable - all A vs B vs C shit aside, it takes SERIOUS power to stalemate Silver Surfer like he did.

Surfer would ass-rape the entire Green Lantern Corps at once.

You do the math...but then again, that's why Jeebus Cable is so rare to see, characters that powerful are inevitably boring as shit.

PUBLIC's_bsc_in_my_bloodyfluid - 

That's will power, not psi abilities or psi defenses.  Also, Martian Manhunter would barely rate as a low-mid level psi in the Marvel Universe.

If the ring can shield Hal from psi attacks, it's not clear what it's upper limit would be, or how much that defensive effort would cost him in offensive capability.  If it does come down to "will power" in the end, my money is still on Cable.  As best I can recall, Cable has never been broken. 

For all the bustering in the above panels, Hal has been broken at least once and I think more often than that.

paw -
PUBLIC's_bsc_in_my_bloodyfluid - 

That's will power, not psi abilities or psi defenses.  Also, Martian Manhunter would barely rate as a low-mid level psi in the Marvel Universe.

If the ring can shield Hal from psi attacks, it's not clear what it's upper limit would be, or how much that defensive effort would cost him in offensive capability.  If it does come down to "will power" in the end, my money is still on Cable.  As best I can recall, Cable has never been broken. 

For all the bustering in the above panels, Hal has been broken at least once and I think more often than that.

Yeah, Hal has been broken.... By the fucking emotional embodiment of fear itself. Lanterns are also trained early to deal with psychics, most commonly by putting a bubble around their head and removing the oxygen until they pass out (green lantern: secret origin as displayed and explained by Thaal Sinestro).

Now... Tell me more about this version of cable that managed to monster silver freaking surfer. Phone Post 3.0

Creativescreenname - Yeah, Hal has been broken.... By the fucking emotional embodiment of fear itself. Lanterns are also trained early to deal with psychics, most commonly by putting a bubble around their head and removing the oxygen until they pass out (green lantern: secret origin as displayed and explained by Thaal Sinestro).

Now... Tell me more about this version of cable that managed to monster silver freaking surfer. Phone Post 3.0

So you conceed Hal has been broken before.  The emotional embodiment of fear itself (aka the yellow monster thing --- Parallax) was a Johns retcon.  Hal broke because things didn't go his way. 

That type of training - utting a bubble around their head and removing the oxygen until they pass out - is stupid, dumb and pointless.  Most importantly it's NOT training psi defense.  If that's the best GLs have for training, regular Cable stomps GL with ease.

As for Cable, At their height, he demonstrated the ability to simultaneously levitate the floating city of Providence and combat the Silver Surfer. (courtesy of wikipedia - appeared in Cable & Deadpool #10)

From Identity Crisis:

Years later, in the wake of Identity Crisis, the JLA was attacked by a reformed Secret Society of Super Villains that once again knew the heroes' alter-egos. The Martian Manhunter discovered Despero was responsible for the restoration of the Society's memory. After a telepathic battle with both Martian Manhunter and Aquaman, Despero takes control of them as well as Batman, but not before Catwoman can summon the Justice League.

In the ensuing battle, Despero mentally takes control of the Green Arrow, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), and the Black Canary. After nearly taking control of Superman, Red Tornado arrives and saves Superman. As Despero moves to attack Tornado with the members of the League he has taken control of, Zatanna arrives and stops him. After he was defeated, Despero was taken by Hal Jordan into Oa's custody.

Fight silver surfer to a standstill? Last I recall, when the surfer decided to end that "fight", it was over...just like that. Cable was very powerful at that point, but not THAT powerful.... Phone Post 3.0

Cable by being way fucking cooler. Phone Post 3.0