Nevada no longer disclosing fighter pay

The Nevada legislature adopted a statute that makes fighter pay and, I believe, bout agreements confidential. The NSAC says that, effective this month, they will no longer disclose fighter payouts.

Full story at Bloody Elbow.

So, I think that leaves Florida and California as the only major fight states that still release pay information for MMA cards. Georgia and Arizona have disclosed fighter pay in the past, but I don't think UFC or Bellator hold many cards there. 

Good. Only government workers should have their salaries open to public scrutiny. Otherwise respect people’s privacy. 

1 Like

Interesting, makes sense, but dunno if this is good or bad for fighters 

Malvert the Janitor -

Good. Only government workers should have their salaries open to public scrutiny. Otherwise respect people’s privacy. 

Who is benefitting from this though? Not the fighters. Now they can't easily compare what another guy on another card is getting paid. It's a leveraging tool. Nothing more. Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal have both been vocal about fighter pay lately and it's starting to catch on with other fighters. If I'm wrong, then we'll see how many cards they hold in California and Florida in 2021.

1 Like
MarcusAurelioFan -
Malvert the Janitor -

Who is benefitting from this though? Not the fighters. Now they can't easily compare what another guy on another card is getting paid. It's a leveraging tool. Nothing more. Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal have both been vocal about fighter pay lately and it's starting to catch on with other fighters. If I'm wrong, then we'll see how many cards they hold in California and Florida in 2021.

This. 

Normally I wouldn’t give a shit, but fighters are underpaid. This takes away an enormous amount of power from them, especially considering it’s happening in the fight capital here in the US. The only remaining commissions that disclose pay may follow suit. 

It’s not up to you to determine whether or not you get to see someone else’s paycheck. 

Of course UGers can’t look beyond their own bias and go right to the “fighters aren’t paid enough” argument. THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR RIGHT TO PRIVACY. 

Give them the choice to disclose their pay or not. It’s their check - they can show you if they want to. Doing it for them is invasive and inappropriate. 

But you think you should be able to open another man’s wallet and count his money without his permission....that’s fucked. 

union busting 101

Douche -

union busting 101

Not at all true. There are thousands of union workers across America whose salaries are made public. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands. 

Every cop (union), firefighter (union), and corrections officer’s (union) salary is public information. They work for the government so their pay should be disclosed because the tax payer funds their wage directly.