Never cared about what belt i had

apollo - You would think the instructor would know if you are ready for a blue belt after watching, teaching, and training with you thus far.

I agree ^^^

If you train every day/week with your head instructor you shouldnt need a test. He should know.

Congrats on almost getting your blue belt.

snakepitz - I support BJJ belt testing

A student may be a "rolling" blue belt due to attributes and a killer triange or particular sub/sweep but not a "knowledge" blue belt.

It is also a way of being sure the integrity of a school is kept.

If you re testing than you should know what is expected of you..ask.

In my school there is an outline..for example:

-3 chokes from guard
-3 armbars from guard
-3 sweeps from guard
-2 mount escapes

etc etc

You are being tested for knowledge as you comp performance and in-class rolling have shown your teacher you can hang

I Agree 100%. A tradition that modern BJJ needs...

Recently got my purple belt...and didn't even want it.

I guess that puts me in the opposite boat. lol

no one wants to be a target LOL

i know the feeling bro..i rmr when i got my blue iwas like YYEAHHHH BABBBYYYY... then i had an epiphany and felt a little sick for some reason lol

mjm345 - I think belt testing is a must (at least for blue belt). There are plenty of guys who roll like monsters, but can't demonstrate a proper shrimp or armbar.

Insctructors will watch you over a period of time and make their decision based on what they see.

If somoene doesn't know how to shrimp then they will not be able to escape from the bottom, therefore they will not get their blue belt.

PITTBJJ Where do you train at and what do you weigh.Was that at the hilton.

I train at Steel City Martial Arts, i weight 208, and yes that was at the Hilton were you their?

i grew up in da BURGH son...nice to see some reppin there :)

Were at in the burgh?

renatopenha - Congrats PittBJJ. If you did that well at your tourney, and your instructor is asking you to test, that's two signs that you're ready and will be fine.Re: testingI'm a three stripe purple belt, and have never been tested. I feel like I might fail a Roy Harris blue belt test, though. Those videos are seriously intimidating. I've always concentrated on base and balance and getting good at a few basic techniques. ie I've worked really hard on recovering guard and getting to my knees from under sidemount, but I don't have four reversals from there. I wonder at how many schools I wouldn't be a "knowledge" purple belt, or even blue.

^Lol sounds like me.

We test blue belts now, it is as much a ceremony as a test. They have to demonstrate a lot of techniques than roll with a number of people their level and above. They are dead at the end, but I think they appreciate their belt when it is done.