Never give up... black belt at 73

My buddy Ward was awarded his black belt last night. He is 73 years old. Started BJJ at 59. Great dude and is always there to help out. Couldn’t be happier for him!

***no that’s not me with him. Im much better looking LOL

14 Likes

Man Im 45 now… started JJJ/Judo in 1995. BJJ in 1999.

I tell all the young guys that Ive had more surgeries than they have years on the mats. All bc of the grappling arts LOL. I have all but detroyed my body. Wouldnt have it any other way. Most of the time :wink:

2 Likes

That’s fucking awesome man

1 Like

I’m 28 and I’ve been saying it’s too late for me to get into boxing/BJJ. But I guess I can’t use that excuse anymore :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

lol, I’m gonna steal your surgery line. 5 surgeries gonna allow me to use this even on some purples.

1 Like

I struck gold. I teach once a week at a new school owned by a physio/sports medicine guy. We’re doing barter, I teach, he fixes my back and hip every two weeks.

5 Likes

Im sure watching cartoons and trolling online are just as effective as actual training. :person_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

I’ve been out of action for 5+ years. I’ve got surgery July 8th after that I plan on beating the fuck out of everyone

1 Like

One of our purples is an ortho guy. Its great to be able to just text him and get in the next day LOL Ive kept him and his buddies balls deep in insurance claims.

3 Likes

I legit love saying that to people…

My first instructor was purple. He competed and was legit. I bet he’s a black belt now.

BJJ does a body good, they definitely don’t look their age!

1 Like

Best way to drop weight or stay in shape imo. I hyper extended an older gents arm, by accident, I was new to the armbar, he was proper couldn’t give a fuck. Just said it happens

That’s great!

Thats awesome! Congrats to your bud!

My last fights were when I was 40. It was in a one day eight man heavyweight kickboxing tournament that I won. I got put in heavyweight because there wasn’t anyone in my weight class and they had a guy drop out of their bracket.

I fought mma as old as 39. Ha.

All of that said, I’m kind of a stupid idiot…so you might be right.

2 Likes