Never played a Bioshock game

I've never played a Bioshock game, but the new one looks interesting.

But from the screenshots and vids I've seen, it looks like a totally different game from the first 2.  Is it really related to the other two, when it comes to story/setting/etc.?

If I got it without playing the others would I be lost?

It is not related at all. The developer wanted a similiar theme, an isolated society with sci-fi ish elements in a steam punkish style. But the story and characters are completely unrelated. So no, you don't have to have played the first two to play this one.

Play the first one! It's still amazing Phone Post

Bioshock 1 is also pretty damn cheap on Steam these days. Like 5 bucks.

Bioshock 1 was amazing to me. Phone Post

BTW, I had rented #1 a year or so ago.  Played like an hour and was bored to tears, so I sent it back.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but if a game doesn't at least hold some interest for me in an hour or two, I figure I could be playing something I actually enjoy.

FYI, I also hated Fallout 3, even after giving it almost 4 hours!

I know both franchises are quite popular, but I just couldn't get into them for whatever reason.

First one is great. Especially at the time it came out early in the lifecycle of the Xbox 360. It's worth playing still.

The new one is unrelated. New story and such. You won't be lost at all. Phone Post

BKViper -

BTW, I had rented #1 a year or so ago.  Played like an hour and was bored to tears, so I sent it back.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but if a game doesn't at least hold some interest for me in an hour or two, I figure I could be playing something I actually enjoy.

FYI, I also hated Fallout 3, even after giving it almost 4 hours!

I know both franchises are quite popular, but I just couldn't get into them for whatever reason.

You didn't like Bioshock 1 or Fallout 3...why are you still trying to get into games like this then?

You obviously know the critical acclaim for the games you mentioned and for some reason they don't suit you so why keep at it..if that makes sense.

Not being an ass, serious. I will give you the benefit if the doubt and not call you out on being "that guy" but it sounds like you should just not waste $60 on Bioshock: Infinite.

What are your favorite franchises if the last gen or two? Phone Post

1 is top 5 of this gen. Cannot fucking wait for the new one! Phone Post

I haven't played a bioshock game either i know wtf is wrong with me jesus. Anyways really looking forward to playing this come tuesday.

You probably won't be lost but theres still no point. Phone Post