Never superman punches in boxing. Why?

toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

How does this look anything like a fake kick?

It doesn't, which is why it failed.

I think it was posted to counter the claim that GSP's worked against a half-conscious BJ.

Most superman punches are set up like Kenny's and are easily countered. A properly set up one is much more difficult to defend, but you actually need to start throwing the kick first.

toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

He was doing it wrong.

Elias Cepeda - 
toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

A. it was. 

B. most of the time guys not as good as Kenny, for example, don't actually set it up.

C. It was. Watch it carefully

Explain.  I am a striking noob.  It just looks like Kenny is doing some kind of ballet jump into BJ

I love that Griffin vs Faber KO!

toshii - 
Elias Cepeda - 
toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

A. it was. 

B. most of the time guys not as good as Kenny, for example, don't actually set it up.

Explain.  I am a striking noob.  It just looks like Kenny is doing some kind of ballet jump into BJ

if someone is consistently throwing the rear round house hi/her opponent get used to seeing that leg come up off the ground and get ready to defend it. That's the idea. Watch Kenny (who is a lefty) bring his ear leg up in the air - that's the fake- then follow with a punch attempt, which is countered by BJ - with the same side arm. 

Obviously it didn't work for him, but Kenny was trying to set it up

toshii - 
Elias Cepeda - 
toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

A. it was. 

basically you pick your leg up like you're going to kick, hope your opponent is distracted setting up his check, and then leap past his guard with a punch.

THAI COBRA PUNCH

Elias Cepeda - 
toshii - 
Elias Cepeda - 
toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

A. it was. 

if someone is consistently throwing the rear round house hi/her opponent get used to seeing that leg come up off the ground and get ready to defend it. That's the idea. Watch Kenny (who is a lefty) bring his ear leg up in the air - that's the fake- then follow with a punch attempt, which is countered by BJ - with the same side arm. 

Obviously it didn't work for him, but Kenny was trying to set it up

tyty

tHexRei - 
toshii - 
Elias Cepeda - 
toshii - 
BrazilianBomber - 

A. it was. 

basically you pick your leg up like you're going to kick, hope your opponent is distracted setting up his check, and then leap past his guard with a punch.
tyty

I landed one at the beginning of the second round in a Golden Gloves match. Wasn't faking a kick- just got him to look down towards my leg. I was then warned by the ref for "lifting my feet."

ummm...becaause u cant KICK DERRRRRR

goku - ummm...becaause u cant KICK DERRRRRR

Sorry Goku that we are not all MMA technique experts like u

PR - Because its a lame move that never works

actually that's not really true.

The real problem is that there isn't any kicking in boxing, so there's nothing to really sell the fake which would set up the superman punch.

It's a primarily muay thai technique.

This was useful thread. i had no idea it was to feint a kick.

The superman punch is like running the Play Action Pass in Football. You can't do a PA unless you have great Running Back. MMA guys who have weak leg kicks won't fool anybody with a Superman punch.

funny story:

I was boxing Din Thomas (my coach) a few months back and he was beating the tar out of me. He knocked me down multiple times, and I swear it felt like his arms were moving way faster than a human should. Anyway, as a last ditch effort to at least get one good shot in the 5 minute round, I attempted a superman punch. Not only did it land, it bloodied Din's nose!

I was happy for about 2 whole seconds before the pummeling continued.

Yes, the Superman punch is used in kickboxing, and yes, I've seen it used in boxing, too. However the guy using it in boxing was an MMA fighter making his boxing debut, but he did land with the punch.

Not strictly boxing per se, but I saw Roger Huerta use it while training with a boxer.

Conventional wisdom says they don't do it in boxing because such trick against a boxer will end the way Uriah's fight did.

Elias Cepeda - 
elgringo - how come you never see a fake shot to a hook, like randleman did to crocop??

Joe Lauzon did that in his UFC debut

Saku used to do this as well, I think he used to fake the shot and kick sometimes.

so you're allowed to jump and lift your feet high in boxing?

also I doubt spinning backfist would be legal because you can't ensure that your knuckles would land