New Cadillac STS

They look badass. I saw two leaving the GM Tech Center yesterday. They were still camo'd up pretty good, but I could still tell what they were.

I don't know if there are any pics on the net yet.

Mark

The XLR is built on the corvette platform.

The STS is built on the Sigma platform (I think) which is the same platform the CTS and SRX are built on. Of course, the STS is mordified a bit.

Mark

No reason to buy a caddy before your 50th birthday, unless it is a '79 convert.

bretbjj is incorrect.

I would buy a CTS-V, and STS or an XLR well before my 50th, they are awesome cars.

The 04 CTS has 255hp. 40 more than a Lexus IS300.

And the CTS-V has 400hp.

Mark

"They were still camo'd up pretty good, but I could still tell what they were. "

Next time, follow that fucker and take pics, I think you can make some money with that.

The CTS-V will also walk a regular Corvette on a highway roll-on.

PusherMan, me and my girlfriend have been arguing that point ever since I bought a 1990 Seville. She likes the CTSs and Escalades, but why the hell would Caddillac make sports cars and SUVs? It doesn't make sense.

"She likes the CTSs and Escalades, but why the hell would Caddillac make sports cars and SUVs? It doesn't make sense."

$$$$, thats why.

The highest profit vehicles are full size SUVs and Luxury-performance sedans.

Mark

The Escalade turned the whole company around.

"The Escalade turned the whole company around. "

Not really. Cadillac is a part of GM, not their own company. It added a good-sized chunk to GMs bottom line, but it really didn't save the company.

Its based on the GMT 800 platform. The GMT 800 platform is the basis for the Silverado pickup, Tahoe, Hummer H2, Yukon, etc. The Escalade was just a variation on an established platform, a platform that was already very profitable. So, in actuality, it didn't save the company, it just beefed up the bottom line.

It did, however, bolster the Cadillac nameplate somewhat. The Sigma platform should be credited with saving the Cadilac nameplate more than anything. It is the platform of the CTS and CTS-V along with the upcoming STS. GM is selling a good deal of CTS at a profitable level.

anyway...

Mark

Whatever happened to "keepin it real"? If I ran Caddillac, it'd be nothing but giant sedans. And hot rod Coupe DeVilles.

The bottom would not be as healthy though.

The STS will use the 4.6L Northstar v8 with variable valve timing. They say it will make 320hp, but some GM guys I know say they would like to bump that up to like 375hp next year along with the AWD.

Mark