New Forum Idea...

After years of UG suggestions that we migrate the forum to a pre-built solution, Kirik and I are seriously evaluating the idea. Our existing custom forum is expensive to maintain, feature-poor, and not easy to moderate and grow. Further, the framed version is built with 20 years old, dead-language code. It has to be supported by a virtual machine that can no longer run security updates without breaking the site.

We have used many forums through the years and like a lot of you, we still use frames every day. Migrating away from something that some of our community has used for over twenty years is not a decision we would take lightly.
After a deep dive into a large number of forum solutions, our frontrunner is Discourse. It is super feature-rich forum and runs on a hosted platform. It has an enormous community of developers.

When you look at the features, it has everything anyone has ever asked we add to this forum:
https://www.discourse.org/features

It also is built on a trust system whereby new members have to earn features by being a positive, contributing member: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

We are by no means wedded to this solution. We hope to get feedback from you, our members. Towards that end, we invite everyone to sign up and give this candidate a test drive.

If we can come to a consensus that this is the best thing moving forward, we would work to migrate this forum, all our users, all your threads, and all your replies going back to since ever to this new solution.

We have setup a sandbox at https://discuss.mixedmartialarts.com, you can sign up right now and your account will be approved quickly. You can try to create a post, reply to post, view the forums by latest or top, look at profile pages, create polls, add rich media content, get notifications through your browser and/or email, and a very great deal more.

Please leave any feedback, bad or good, here and let’s see what happens.
21 Likes

OP is a faggot.

1 Like

How come I can post in the Forum but not on the Articles in the front page? I forgot my old Log in Email a long time ago. Any Way I can keep this account using my newer Email? Thanks in advance! 

Will there be a difference when using a phone app versus a web browser on a computer?  If so then shouldn’t both be examined seperatly to find bugs or suggestions for improvements?

Whoa. In. 

Hocky -

OP is a faggot.

You just win some positive contributor coupons for the new system. That was quick

Hocky - 

OP is a faggot.

Innnn

1 Like

does discourse have a frames mode? one where you can scroll down one side but maintain the current thread? if not, are there ones that do? i'd find it hard to believe that the og is the only frames forum in existence. 

3 Likes

Is there a way to transfer old threads? I have my main thread on TehOG that would be a pain in the ass to transfer and start over. I just registered, set me up Kirik and Chris, thanks brothers. 

1 Like

Positive contributor points will lead to a site full of trumptards

10 Likes

As long as the new forums are constantly deleted and unavailable, I'm good with whatever.

10 Likes

Emojis work!

and do too!

Good so far...

Ha ha I forgot c_lass and s_tyle still don't work here, but there they do!

Pics work too, and I'm a moron with pics!

Yes emojis please, 

yusul - 

does discourse have a frames mode? one where you can scroll down one side but maintain the current thread? if not, are there ones that do? i'd find it hard to believe that the og is the only frames forum in existence. 

If you know of one, please let me know. As far as my research has gone, we are it.

2 Likes

Can we still call people faggots? Will I be able to send HD dick pics via pm? I've assumed Kirik has been secretly enjoying them for years, your welcome. Please don't take us somewhere ghey with silly rules please. For all the tears around here, were only alive because of the freedom vs Reddit and the other over moderated sites. 

13 Likes
bullybull -

Can we still call people faggots? Will I be able to send HD dick pics via pm? I've assumed Kirik has been secretly enjoying them for years, your welcome. Please don't take us somewhere ghey with silly rules please. For all the tears around here, were only alive because of the freedom vs Reddit and the other over moderated sites. 

Sup bully!  Hopefully your threads transfer, they are awesome.

1 Like
bullybull - 

Is there a way to transfer old threads? I have my main thread on TehOG that would be a pain in the ass to transfer and start over. I just registered, set me up Kirik and Chris, thanks brothers. 

we absolutely would migrate all the users and old threads / replies.

4 Likes
bullybull - 

this is just a software platform. we make the rules.

2 Likes

No emojis please

4 Likes