new gi tips

I've just got my first ever gi from my instructor (been training no gi since january), it's an A4 tatami zero-g in black...

Here's the thing, the trousers fit perfectly but the top is massive (I'm 6 foot 5 and 195lbs so quite slight in frame) and i need to shrink it. Ive read the best way to do this is to wash at a high temp and then put in a dryer and check every 10 mins or so for the desired amount of shrinkage...

My problem however is that I have no dryer, is there another way to shrink effectively?

Also are there any other tips for a new gi? for example will soaking inn a vinegar solution lock in the colour and soften the material or is this an old wives tale?

What say ye UG? thanks in advance for any hints/tips!!

Cheers
Ryan

Ok I guess you are in the uk I don't know how things work there but if you have laundromats I would go to one and use the dryer there

yeah I'm in the UK, by laundromats i'm assuming you mean a laundrette, that is an option but i feel i may look a little odd standing in the middle of the place trying on a damp gi every 10 mins haha!

I'm wondering if just washing on a high temp and air drying will work eventually (I'm guessing it'll take longer this way) or if there is another method e.g. soaking in a hot bath etc....

izzyorion - yeah I'm in the UK, by laundromats i'm assuming you mean a laundrette, that is an option but i feel i may look a little odd standing in the middle of the place trying on a damp gi every 10 mins haha!

I'm wondering if just washing on a high temp and air drying will work eventually (I'm guessing it'll take longer this way) or if there is another method e.g. soaking in a hot bath etc....

Well, if launderettes are anything like a laundry mats, you will probably still be the most normal person in there. LOL

Don't be embarrassed by your soggy pajamas!!

Beside the dryer it's possible a hairdryer might work but it would be such a pain in the ass

Do you have an oven?

Make sure that every time you put on your wet gi top in the laundrette, you do 3 karate hip punches with corresponding loud kiais!

From what I've read, soaking in vinegar to lock in the color is a myth. Most commercially dyed cotton materials can't be set with vinegar because vinegar only sets wool or nylon or something along those lines.

Retayne is a product that supposedly does the job. If you want to set color try some of that.

As far as drying, there aren't any other common ways to shrink gis if that is what you're asking. It would look like laundromat or a friend's house would be the best bet. Go bring a few beers to a friends house, have a BBQ, and ask if you can use his wash and dry.

@deepu hahaha! i can see me doing that, dnt tempt me lol! Phone Post

@mudmonster - i do, can you elaborate as im intrigued with the prospect of cooking a gi!

@letstalkitout - cheers for the heads up about the vinegar as i was about to try that tomorrow, having second thoughts now! Phone Post

dont cook your gi... didnt you see that episode of seinfeld?

didnt see that episode, i guess it didnt end well for thr gi! Phone Post

To be honest, most of the people that claim results with either vinegar or retayne is mostly bull. How are they supposed to know that either worked? I mean, if someone used vinegar on their black Ouano but didn't on their black Koral they would say vinegar was the difference. But it wasn't, comparing fading from different makes and even models is apples and oranges. If you want to say "vinegar worked on my Gameness" then you would need another Gameness, rotate between the two, have the same training sessions between them, then wash them exactly the same separately to really get a good idea.

But anyways, I'm more towards Retayne because at least there are explanations out there trying to prove why it works.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/fixative.shtml

My zero G shrank quite a lot, so I would test it wet after the wash. I reckon I lost half a size in a medium heat wash and line dry. After a few washes I sold it to a guy in my class as it was too small :-(

just an update, i washed my gi top on a 60 degree wash and dried it on the radiator, its not quite dry yet but i tried it on and it has shrunk quite considerably!

It now fits almost perfect! Cold washes from now on methinks! Phone Post